plastic end caps for alto recorder--use them?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jeffrey armbruster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

plastic end caps for alto recorder--use them?

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

another stupid question--I received a nice Yamaha alto plastic recorder. It has two 'end caps' that cover the parts on the middle and foot joints that insert into the holes..I don't know what the term is. It would seem that these would impede drying. Are they just something that comes with a new recorder or is it advised to use them? Thanks.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: plastic end caps for alto recorder--use them?

Post by sfmans »

The caps protect the grease on the joints whilst the instrument is not in use; they also protect the thinner walls of the joints.

Dry the recorder out, if you can leave it dis-assembled until thoroughly dry, and then put the end caps on the joints when you put the recorder back in its bag.
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

Great; thanks! Will do.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

sfmans wrote:The caps protect the grease on the joints whilst the instrument is not in use; they also protect the thinner walls of the joints.

Dry the recorder out, if you can leave it dis-assembled until thoroughly dry, and then put the end caps on the joints when you put the recorder back in its bag.
Thats exactly what I do. After playing I swab it out then leave it to air dry till later. Then I put the caps on and put it back in its case.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'm not all that careful with my plastic instruments, but I do put the caps on when putting the recorders in their pouches.