newbie says hello

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jeffrey armbruster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

newbie says hello

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

Hello all: well I just went to a local shop, Lark in the Morning, intending to buy my first alto recorder. I haven't played recorder for decades. I do play classical guitar and suddenly the notion of playing a second instrument, a recorder, became immensely appealing. The lack of a reed and the relative ease of playing single line music just seemed wonderful. Anyway, Lark was out of plastic alto recorders and I ended up walking away with an Aulos soprano. I went down to the nearby pocket park and started playing. Delightful! It's not been difficult at all to learn the first few fingerings. Even the half hole thumb position seems doable.

I was surprised at the stretch that even an alto gave my right hand pinkie. I will probably end up getting an alto soon, when they come in, but for now I just want to learn the basic fingerings of a soprano. Much easier to play!

I know that difficulties are bound to arise! But the sound of the soprano out of doors was sweet (a bit harsher right now indoors.) The few people around all said that they enjoyed the simple songs I was playing. Me too! I was afraid that a soprano would be too shrill but so far, not so.

So hello and please feel free to offer any good advice to this newbie. I learned a little about breathing and tonguing from that Sarah Jeffrey on the Team Recorder website. But I'd welcome any further advice for sure! Especially any recommendations for books for learning to play. I picked up You Can Teach Yourself Recorder by William Bay but I'll need more soon, including a collection of easier classical pieces to play. thanks in advance.
piperjoe

Re: newbie says hello

Post by piperjoe »

Hi and Welcome...

One of Sarah's videos is about her recommendations for books for adult learners.

Check it out! Her usual good stuff! :D

Piperjoe
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Thanks Piperjoe; will do. I'm getting good reviews at the park a block away! Just wait 'til I learn how to finger sharps and flats!

I'm learning to diagnose why notes are going bad. It changes daily (well, this is day three.) Patience! Bach is in my future! sometime after Danny Boy.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

I should have also mentioned that you can't go wrong with the G. Rooda book(s).

It/they assume(s) you already read music, sound like you do, full title: Dexterity Exercises and Dances for Recorders in F. It's also available for recorders in C but for Alto you need the "F" version.

You'll never outgrow the Rooda book! If you think you have go back and speed up! :shock:

Piperjoe
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Perhaps the recorder will draw you down the rabbit hole of Tin Whistle. There are many similar aspects to the instruments. The Tin Whistle and its large community of Irish traditional music lovers can be a lot of fun.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Welcome to the forum jeffrey. Glad you found an instrument you like. I too have an Aulos soprano, tho I much prefer my yamaha alto.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
jeffrey armbruster

Well I got the Rooda book for soprano a few days ago, and wow! There are some lovely and challenging melodies in it for sure--the best of the few books I have. I already read music so the other beginner books that I have which teach music as well as fingerings are a little slow. A little! still fun for now.

I can see that I'll be working with the Rooda for quite a while. Now for the alto version! and any suggestions for alto learning books are welcome.