It seemed like a good idea at the time.

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post by AaronFW »

[Edit: I had originally posted this in the Post-Structural Pub Subforum, but it got moved here because it is related to World/Folk Winds]

While in undergraduate school, I learned about making flutes and tried my hand at making a flute based on Native-American-Flute technology (i.e. a fipple).

I harvested some green-to-yellowing bamboo and stashed it on the balcony of my dorm room. Not long after, someone reported to me that they were having an issue with a snake at a nearby building, I informed them that if they killed it I wanted its skin for a flute. After they killed it, we took it behind the dorm and skinned it. I then dried the skin and made a flute out of yellowish bamboo to match the skin.

The fipple is being held on with a rubber band due to lack of initiative.

Last edited by AaronFW on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post by kkrell »

Nice that you kept the eyes.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post by AaronFW »

kkrell wrote:Nice that you kept the eyes.
Yes. The snake is probably just as terrifying as it ever was.

Since the post moved to this forum (from the Post-Structural Pub); it seems that I should probably give actual details regarding the flute.

The flute was made to be a Native American style flute. Therefore, it is a Pentatonic scale and this flute is in E major. It plays nice, but I don't have much occasion to play Native American music, so it was more just for fun and experience.