Kelischek vs Lazar

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Volatile
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play soprano and tenor recorders. I find the tenor more difficult than the soprano and have questions about playing it as well as general recorder questions.

Kelischek vs Lazar

Post by Volatile »

A new Yamaha YRT 304 b arriving on 12/4. I know I'll need at least the #4 key and probably the #3. As much as I' d like ( if I could even afford to) other than appearance, what makes Lazar's add on keys over three times as expensive as those from Kelischek's workshop ? I'd like feedback from those who have used either or both. Too bad Yamaha doesn't make a keyed tenor.
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Kelischek vs Lazar

Post by jadphoto »

Can't comment on Kelishek's keys or service, but I had a #4 key added to an Aulos tenor a couple of years ago by Lazar's and they did a super job. Worth every penny. I'm sending my Mollenhauer off right after Christmas.

Short turn-around to boot.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

JAD
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone is contemplating having this done...

I recently sent my Yamaha plastic recorder in for a Kelishek (Susato) key.

They only had the recorder for a day, the key works a treat, and was a fraction of the cost or the one I had installed on the Aulos tenor a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:

The Kelishek key is plastic so we'll have to wait a while to see how it holds up but it's comfortable and looks just fine on the Yamaha.

Piper Joe
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Volatile wrote:. Too bad Yamaha doesn't make a keyed tenor.

But they do
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Yes, I had a Yamaha tenor recorder with keys for C & C#, but I bought it a few years ago, maybe they stopped selling that model(?).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Also, I'm talking holes 3&4, LH 3 and RH 1 not the C/C# keys that are more common on tenor recorders.

I have three tenors, Mollenhauer in pearwood, Aulos and Yamaha in plastic and all came with C/C#keys.

I've now had both the plastic tenors keyed for hole 4 (rh 1) and will send the Mollenhauer to Kelishek after the holidays.

I should note that I have a right hand issue, and can't reliably make the stretch of any tenor. :puppyeyes:

Piper Joe
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Just a note on Kelischek & Lazar service:

I've only had one experience of K service, and it was astoundingly awesome!

I had gotten an ancient Kelischek bass kelhorn off Ebay that I think was being sold as an unknown tenor recorder-flute-whistle-whatever. It was probably made in the 1960s and has three plastic keys. Of course, one of the keys was broken. For a while, I just had a bit of popsicle stick glued onto what was left of the original key.

But on a lark I decided to write to Kelischek and see if they had any keys for it. Had a very nice email from George Kelischek (inventor of the kelhorn). And about a month later, he'd tracked down some ancient kelhorn keys and key ring! I was delighted!

I've bought several instruments from Lazar's (when Bill was still running the shop), and never had any bad experiences with him. Very professional and on the ball.

As far as repair / modification goes, of course Kelischek is in the instrument design and making business, so I'd imagine they do modification work in house, and have all the shop space and tooling required. Since Lazar's Music was sold and transferred across the country, I don't know if they do such work in house or if it's contracted out. You might have to ask about that.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, from a service perspective.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

whistlecollector wrote:Just a note on Kelischek & Lazar service:

I've only had one experience of K service, and it was astoundingly awesome!

I had gotten an ancient Kelischek bass kelhorn off Ebay that I think was being sold as an unknown tenor recorder-flute-whistle-whatever. It was probably made in the 1960s and has three plastic keys. Of course, one of the keys was broken. For a while, I just had a bit of popsicle stick glued onto what was left of the original key.

But on a lark I decided to write to Kelischek and see if they had any keys for it. Had a very nice email from George Kelischek (inventor of the kelhorn). And about a month later, he'd tracked down some ancient kelhorn keys and key ring! I was delighted!

I've bought several instruments from Lazar's (when Bill was still running the shop), and never had any bad experiences with him. Very professional and on the ball.

As far as repair / modification goes, of course Kelischek is in the instrument design and making business, so I'd imagine they do modification work in house, and have all the shop space and tooling required. Since Lazar's Music was sold and transferred across the country, I don't know if they do such work in house or if it's contracted out. You might have to ask about that.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, from a service perspective.
You are 100% correct. When I had Lazar's do the key on my Aulos tenor he had another shop that did the actual work. I assume that's still the case with the new owner.

George at Kelischek can also voice recorders which Lazar's was unable to do. So, bonus points to Kelischek.

I have been very pleased with the service from both shops... :thumbsup:

Piper Joe