New to alto recorder

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Volatile
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play soprano and tenor recorders. I find the tenor more difficult than the soprano and have questions about playing it as well as general recorder questions.

New to alto recorder

Post by Volatile »

A member of another forum recently sent me ( including postage) an Aulos 309a he said had only been used for 5-10 minutes account arthritis in his right pinky prevented him from reliably covering hole # 7. This is my first alto- I play tenor exclusively and I find low F on the alto cannot be blown with the quality of low C on the Yamaha ( also plastic ) tenor. I realize low C/D on the tenor and F/G on the alto require soft/slow air. The G on the staff of the alto is satisfactory. I've been considering switching to alto. I'm certain I'm covering both #7 holes. If this is common to all plastic altos , I'll stick with the tenor. Comments ?
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: New to alto recorder

Post by Peter Duggan »

Volatile wrote:If this is common to all plastic altos
It's not. But, while there are undoubtedly better models available now, you should still be able to get a decent F out of a 309.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?