Need info about Mollenhauer and Moeck Recorders

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Xrayman
antispam: No

Need info about Mollenhauer and Moeck Recorders

Post by Xrayman »

I purchased these 2 instruments on Craigslist some time ago for my children who long ago left home.

I want to sell them but beyond calling them recorders can someone please give me better descriptions. They are in very good condition but I have no idea about value so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Al

Another try at posting images:

Last edited by Xrayman on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Re: Need info about Mollenhauer and Moeck Recorders

Post by Mae »

Hi Al, I can't see the images for some reason, even when I've copied this link on different browsers. I've got some many things blocked, though, for security reasons, but even on my least secure browser, I can't see this. Is it possible to post these in such a way that I don't have to sign into Google to see them?
Xrayman

Post by Xrayman »

Sorry.

Here is a link to a shared album : https://goo.gl/photos/sexDZpngPi89rB5o8
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

They are both Alto (aka Treble) recorders with Baroque fingering.
The Moeck looks to be in Maple. The Mollenhauer is probably Pearwood or Cherry.

Both are models no longer produced by the makers.

The Moeck model looks be like their School or something like their current Flauto Rondo model (beginner to intermediate) and the Mollenhauer model looks to be similar to their current Canta model. I think they had a Chorus model?
Both of these are cheaper (but not inexpensive) beginner-intermediate recorders priced in ranges between $100-250USD brand new.

Yours look to be both in excellent condition (more detailed photos of their mouthpieces from all angles are needed, as well as their windways and their thumbholes. Damage/wear to these areas affect play and their resale value.
Search on eBay for similar recorders and their final selling prices will give you an idea of what to shoot for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_Co ... 5573.m1684

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_Co ... 5573.m1684

Good luck

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Xrayman

Post by Xrayman »

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a complete and thoughtful response.
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

My pleasure. Whereabouts are you located?
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
Xrayman

Post by Xrayman »

Seattle. A long way from you.
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Yes, too far!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

dubrosa22 wrote:The Moeck model looks be like their School or something like their current Flauto Rondo model (beginner to intermediate)
Tuju. Not a 'school' model, but the base model in their older main lines.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

The Mollenhauer does look like a Chorus; I own a soprano like that, but with dark varnish. It is very likely pearwood because I don't believe Mollenhauer makes the student models in the more expensive woods, at least, I'd never seen them.

From what I've seen on eBay, an alto Chorus might get you about between $50 to $75. That's the range I've seen it. You have some wear on the mouthpiece, so that may or may not lower the price, but the rest of the instrument looks in very good condition.

The Moeck Tuju altos I've seen have sold for about $100, mostly a little over. Yours is actually in really good condition from what I can see, and I don't often see US listings for this instrument, so you might have good luck with that one. I'd be tempted to buy it if I didn't already have a number of good alto recorders, and am saving up for a Mollenhauer Dream in plum wood (which I hope will be this year's Christmas present).

You will want to check to make sure the cork on the joints are still good, and not dried out and crumbling; treat them with recorder grease if they need it. It doesn't look like they were played very often, but mine don't really, either, because I've taken good care of them. I've noticed some of these vintage recorders have held up pretty well, and it could be a mark of workmanship. I have purchased a few vintage ones, and those that haven't been used have held up well, as long as they've been stored away from light, heat and damp.

Here's some sold listings in US that are similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mollenhauer-Alt ... SwZ0NZbZOS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Moeck ... SwlY1ZIkPy

They show a higher selling price for the Chorus than the Tuju, but those at least are US listings. It's the opposite with other listings.
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

I thought the Moeck's brass ferrules looked too beveled and narrow to be a Tuju, plus the mouthpiece/beak I thought looked a little too streamlined for a Tuju.

But it probably is an older Tuju if folks here are in agreement.

V
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

dubrosa22 wrote:I thought the Moeck's brass ferrules looked too beveled and narrow to be a Tuju,
Think that's just discoloration/lighting and they're broader and flatter than first appearances might suggest.
plus the mouthpiece/beak I thought looked a little too streamlined for a Tuju.
And I think that's just angle of view. But there may equally have been subtle differences over the years.
But it probably is an older Tuju if folks here are in agreement.
I'm sure it's a Tuju.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Xrayman

Post by Xrayman »

Thanks for all the responses. A few more images of the instrument in question.

I would love them to go to enthusiasts. How about $150 for both shipping included in US?

They both are in great condition but the Moeck is missing one of the corks.

Al
Xrayman

Post by Xrayman »

Thanks all. I sold them locally.