Who made this?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Old Dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Who made this?

Post by Old Dog »

Some time ago I bought (eBay) an alto recorder. It was presumably made in Germany, but the country of origin is not on it and only a little bit of the maker's logo can be seen. I'm hoping that somebody can tell me who made it. All I can see of the logo is what looks like the three spires of a church with crosses on top of each spire. Beneath are three (?) letters. I can only make out the last letter which is R. This R is not part of the word Germany. From the size of it and it's location it has to be the last of three capital letters. This logo was die struck into the wood and is not worn off, it just wasn't fully struck up. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Paul N.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Who made this?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Old Dog wrote:only a little bit of the maker's logo can be seen.
Do you have a photo?
Beneath are three (?) letters. I can only make out the last letter which is R. This R is not part of the word Germany. From the size of it and it's location it has to be the last of three capital letters.
Possibly (quite probably) 'DDR'.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I dont know much about recorders but could it be Mollenhaeur?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Mollenhauer_GmbH
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:I dont know much about recorders but could it be Mollenhaeur?
No.

Master of nine?
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

I've got a photo, and now all I have to is figure out how to post it. I don't think that the letters say DDR. I looked at it with a jewellers loupe and while I still can't read it, I can see a vertical line on the left end. However, instead of the curve of a capital D, I think I can see a faint horizontal line like on an F or E. The letters are too large for it to be DDR, in my opinion.

OK, I can't figure it out. How do I attach a photo? I'm doing this on my BlackBerry phone if it makes a difference.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Schott and Co.?

"SCHOTT & Co.

This is a name that has disappeared from the instrument side of the recorder world. In the past they have supplied instruments with the Schott brand in various qualities and distributed Zen-On and Mollenhauer models.

In the UK Schott were at the forefront of the recorder revival in the 1940's. You will find the dreadful kitemarked beech descants in junk shops and charity shops every where. There are at least two bakelite descant models, not very good, but collectable out of historical interest in the material. I have acquired some of these instruments, click here to see them.

Many of the DDR produced Schott 'Concert' and 'Prelude' models are still about."
From Saunders Recorders
http://www.saundersrecorders.com/rframe.htm

Pic:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Old Dog wrote:OK, I can't figure it out. How do I attach a photo? I'm doing this on my BlackBerry phone if it makes a difference.
No difference. You need to upload it somewhere else then enclose the URL in image tags:

Code: Select all

[img]Photo address here[/img]
AuLoS303 wrote:Schott and Co.?
Are you going to suggest every recorder maker you've half heard of?

Master of nine?
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Old Dog wrote:OK, I can't figure it out. How do I attach a photo? I'm doing this on my BlackBerry phone if it makes a difference.
No difference. You need to upload it somewhere else then enclose the URL in image tags:

[img]Photo address here[/img]
AuLoS303 wrote:Schott and Co.?
Are you going to suggest every recorder maker you've half heard of?
No! I have been googling for the past 30 minutes trying to find something for you!
I wont bother next time!
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

[img]IMG_20170507_1414399449009699939913078020[/img]

Try this.
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

Nope, that didn't work. Il try again a little later.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

It should look more like:

[img]http://www.example.com/photo.jpg[/img]

Master of nine?
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

I give up. I'm old and understand fountain pens and my watch still has to be wound up. Electronics are beyond me.

Peter, If you be so kind, please send me an email address. I know how to send pics that way. Then, maybe you could post it for me.

Thanks,
Paul N.
Tonawanda, NY
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Old Dog wrote:Peter, If you be so kind, please send me an email address.
It's on my profile, Paul. And I think I might know your manufacturer unless you're sure the 'spires' are spires...

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

If that fails, here's a very brief guide:

Step 1: Find a hosting site and upload the photo(s) there. Something like Photobucket would do.
Step 2: Find the place on the hosting site where you can "share" the image(s). Normally, this is done just by hovering your mouse over the image and it will come up with an option to share. Or sometimes there's a reasonably obvious menu in a box where you can choose some sharing options - you want the one for forums.
Step 3: Post it here. Quite often you don't even need to put the IMG tags around it yourself.

See what you think.
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

Pete,

I sent it to you.

It is a three spired church with no doubt.