Got myself a clarinet

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Got myself a clarinet

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well my partner got it for me...I've been practicing a few weeks now and am finally getting somewhere.
The clarinet is a Windsor student Bb and this is Amazing Grace on it. Such a fun instrument!

https://youtu.be/O_0PVeeH-gA
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Got myself a clarinet

Post by fatmac »

I used to have a Buffet, but had to give up because I just couldn't get the embouchure anymore.
Love the sound, hope you have a long lasting relationship with yours. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Thanks. Yea the embouchure takes some getting used to!
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

I'm impressed that you can do this after only a few weeks. My daughter plays clarinets, and I remember it took a while for the kids to get a decent sound out of it, much less an actual song. I would recommend getting an instructor to at least make sure your embouchure is correct so the notes come out without that "stuffiness", and to also teach you about the difference between reeds and mouthpieces, unless you've already done all that, of course. That same daughter also worked for (and still occasionally still works for when she has time) a pro clarinet player who also ended up making his own mouthpieces, and now has a business selling student and pro barrels and mouthpieces for clarinets, so she's also learning the technical aspects of the instruments.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ah if I could afford a teacher it would be a piano teacher (my first instrument). But alas it is not to be.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Never on a Sunday.
Clarinet is such fun to play, it invites playing because of its lush sound and dynamics due to being a reed instrument.

https://youtu.be/w2s5rctvxtA
Brus

Post by Brus »

AuLoS303 wrote: Clarinet is such fun to play, it invites playing because of its lush sound and dynamics due to being a reed instrument.
I played clarinet in grade school band.

Always loved the sound of the late Acker Bilk, master of the low register:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)