Recorder Clogging and a Natural Solution?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
ericadolphy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Interested in discussing recorder technique with people, came here to ask questions about recorder (blockflute).

Recorder Clogging and a Natural Solution?

Post by ericadolphy »

Hi,

Looking for way to prevent recorder clogging WITHOUT using sodium laureth sulfate.
I wouldn't put sodium laureth sulfate in my mouth or eat it, so I won't put that in my flute.

How was this done before products like Duponol/Anticondens??
Maybe some kind of specific plant oil or something similar?

I know that warming the headpiece helps, but I still clog up pretty fast.

Currently playing on a Moeck Flauto Leggero.

Thanks!
Mae
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Re: Recorder Clogging and a Natural Solution?

Post by Mae »

Hi, I'm going to post a link to the site use the most because I buy from the guy: http://www.lazarsearlymusic.com/Recorde ... r_care.htm

So, since I don't play publicly (as my method can be weird and embarrassing around people), and I also don't like using the Duponol (I can almost taste it when I've used it, so I hate it) or sucking out the condensation (yuck), I've gotten in the habit flinging out condensation, while holding the recorder at the join between the headpiece and body, and whipping it downward very quickly a few times very carefully. This flings the condensation out from the mouthpiece opening, and I just wipe it away. This is probably not the most recommended way, since there is a possibility that the force of swinging the recorder may damage the recorder, but I've done this for ages, since I was a kid. I've never yet smacked my recorders on anything because I make sure I hold on tightly, and a healthy fear of my parents instilled a good habit of being very aware of my surroundings.