Rim Blown Native American Flutes

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
gemmastemley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player and is part of a duo of flute and guitar. Recently i have extended my music to include the sound of the NAF. I recently bought a flute from High Spirits flute and one from Jonah Thompson. As I continue to listen to professional players like Scot August I realize that the Anasazi and Mohave 6 flutes are wonderful and that i should add one of these to my collection. However all reports talk about the difficulty in playing a rim blown flute. I think it may be similar to the Yamaha I now play. i would like to become a part of this forum and hear what foklks are saying.

Rim Blown Native American Flutes

Post by gemmastemley »

Has anyone tried the EZ Anasazi flute created by Stephen DeRuby. How does it compare with the typical rim blown flute. I play a Concert c flute by Yamaha and would like to purchase a rim blown flute either the Anasazi or Mohave 6. Any advantages and disadvantages of the EZ.
paddler

Re: Rim Blown Native American Flutes

Post by paddler »

The EZ Anasazi is basically a low whistle, not a rim-blown flute. I think it is targeted at native american flute players who don't have the embouchure control to get started quickly with a true rim blown/embouchure flute. In my opinion, the real joy of playing rim blown flutes comes from the expressiveness and versatility that are inherent in true embouchure flutes (as opposed to whistles). Based on the fact that you are already a flute player, I would say avoid the EZ Anasazi and buy a "real" rim blown flute. Geoffrey Ellis, who frequents this forum, makes some nice ones (Earthtone). I also like Michael Allen's flutes too (Coyote Old Man).

The Mohave flutes have a different scale to the Anasazi flutes, and the Mojave 6 flute is Geoffrey's own design. Its not based directly on a historic instrument, but has a more versatile scale than the original Mojave flutes (which only have 4 holes). The Anasazi flutes are more versatile than the Mojave 4 hole flutes. They have a major and a minor scale. The larger flutes (say G#) sound great, but can be a real stretch to play for long periods. the Bb Anasazi's are an easier reach and still sound good. Both Bb and G# are based (roughly) on originals.
gemmastemley
Tell us something.: I am a flute player and is part of a duo of flute and guitar. Recently i have extended my music to include the sound of the NAF. I recently bought a flute from High Spirits flute and one from Jonah Thompson. As I continue to listen to professional players like Scot August I realize that the Anasazi and Mohave 6 flutes are wonderful and that i should add one of these to my collection. However all reports talk about the difficulty in playing a rim blown flute. I think it may be similar to the Yamaha I now play. i would like to become a part of this forum and hear what foklks are saying.

Re: Rim Blown Native American Flutes

Post by gemmastemley »

Thank you Paddler. I have purchased a B flat from Geoffrey Ellis after doing some research on flute makers. I am amazed at the craftsmanship and sound of Geoffrey's flutes. Furthermore, I like his business sense. He was prompt and thorough in answering my questions about the flute.

The consensus among Anasazi makers seems to be one of making a flute which is rim blown with little modification. I am now wiser about the difference and I see no alternative but to go with rim blown. It has taken me several years to develop some semblance of a decent tone on the Yamaha c flute. I am prepared to devote some time to the Anasazi. I love the NAF but I think the Anasazi has the most soothing and beautiful sound. That's just me. No where have I been able to locate an Anasazi flute maker with the whistle mouth piece other than Stephen DeRuby and he is no longer with us. So I guess the future of the Anasazi will continue to be a rim blown flute.