Wooden recorder question

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Zelda
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I recently restarted playing the recorder again after decades, and I have some questions about recorders and looking for suggestions.

Wooden recorder question

Post by Zelda »

Just want to confirm that it is normal when playing newer wooden recorders to have problems playing notes above the staff until they break in. My plastic alto Yamaha ecodear plays higher notes without a problem. The Mollemhauer pearwood over a month old is a lot better than the Moeck maple that is a couple weeks old, but still not as good as the plastic Yamaha. Im not playing notes higher than D. If the wooden instruments need to break in more, how long does that take?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Wooden recorder question

Post by Loren »

A good wooden recorder should not need to be broken in to play well. Sounds like yours needs adjustment. If you purchased it from a shop with a reliable recorder repair person, then return it for inspection.
ganchan

Post by ganchan »

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but where did you purchase your Ecodear alto? I've seen a few U.S. online shops claim to have them in stock, but I've been skeptical about that because others still list them as being on "pre-order"...
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

From the Mollenhauer website:
"A new wooden recorder has to be played in. Give your instrument time to get accustomed to the moisture and warmth that comes through playing. You can use this time to explore and become familiar with the unique characteristics of your recorder.

Play it daily in the first three to four weeks – but not for periods longer than 20 minutes. Look for slow passages to play. Explore and savour every individual note: what makes each note sound best? Experiment with various dynamic levels. Find the limits of your instrument, but don’t tax it too much in the high registers."

http://www.mollenhauer.com/en/useful-information

I think Loren is correct though, the recorder should play fairly easily into the higher registers even if it does 'tax' the instrument, so perhaps it needs a voicing adjustment.

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Zelda
Tell us something.: I recently restarted playing the recorder again after decades, and I have some questions about recorders and looking for suggestions.

Post by Zelda »

I bought the Yamaha Ecodear from "The Recorder Shop" when they were at a workshop near Albany NY.

http://www.recordershop.com/
I just checked and they have the soprano and the alto listed on their website.

I was afraid I was going to hear this about the Moeck. Lesson learned. Next time I'll buy one I listen to first.

Thanks for the replies.