Looking for a 3 octave recorder-ish instrument

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Pickles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for a 3 octave recorder-ish instrument

Post by Pickles »

Hi, I've been playing the tenor recorder for 3 years. Certain limitations of the instrument are beginning to become apparent to me. Most noticeably, its range. I have a Yamaha maple from Von Huene workshop...so I think that is about as good as you can get. Would be nice to have 3 chromatic octaves plus low B (B3-C7) to be able to play concert flute literature. I know I could get a bell key, but those are prohibitively expensive, since they have to be custom made (Yamaha doesn't make a bell key for it already!)

Is there some other fipple instrument out there with the range I'm wanting??? I've done a lot of googling, and the closest thing I found is the 10 hole Morneault whistle (http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistle10.html), but it just goes to 'low D', not sure if that's D4 or D5. Thanks for any ideas!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Looking for a 3 octave recorder-ish instrument

Post by Peter Duggan »

Pickles wrote:Is there some other fipple instrument out there with the range I'm wanting???
A flute with an Educci head. See viewtopic.php?p=1170105#p1170105 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_FcyC6fco (also linked from that post).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

In general, when it comes to wind instruments, you can either have a chromatic 1.5 octaves or you can have 3 diatonic octaves. Or you can have a compromised blend of the two.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BobRychlik
Tell us something.: I am performer and teacher of fujara and koncovka overtone flutes. The koncovka sound and way of playing is identical to Scandinavian overtone flutes (salgdlojt, Seljefloyte, pajupillij) and I would like to promote dialogue and exchange of ideas between players of overtone flutes in Scandinavia and Slovakia and other Slavic countries. I am also organizer of fujara and overtone flutes festivals, and workshops and would like to find out about similar events in other countries.
Bob Rychlík.

Post by BobRychlik »

Slovak fujara has range over 2 octaves and one extra octave above that in overtone range.
2 octaves are diatonic, and with exception of single tone also chromatic (for G fujara the missing tone in chromatic scale is C#.
Bob
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

I don't know if you'd count this as a fipple instrument, but there's a guy on YouTube named David Erick Ramos who is the king of all ocarinas, and plays some of what are called multi-chambered, "double" or "triple," ocarinas. They have a substantial range and are at least mostly chromatic. Might be worthwhile to look into some of his videos. He seems to be doing for the ocarina what John King and Jake Shimabukuro have done for the ukulele, really bringing it into its own as a much more than a cheap toy.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

The fixed geometry of a fipple flute windway limits you to not much more than two octaves. In the third octave, the air is moving 4 to 8 times as fast across the windway as it is for the bell note, which translates to a significant difference in volume. With transverse flutes, and rim-blown flutes like the quena, you can compensate by shortening the air gap and blowing a finer stream of air.