Question about recorder notation

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Brus
antispam: No

Question about recorder notation

Post by Brus »

Does anyone know what the downward-pointing symbols mean at the end of the fourth line? Or the Xs above the last line?

Ruf und Frage
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Question about recorder notation

Post by brianholton »

The V symbols: breath pauses?
X: do I remember rightly that it marks alternative fingerings? (I may be making that up)

b
bsfloyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bsfloyd »

brianholton wrote:The V symbols: breath pauses?
X: do I remember rightly that it marks alternative fingerings? (I may be making that up)

b
Hmmm, I thought that breath suggestion marks were noted with a comma looking figure above and between the notes. However, different world notations could be different. No clue on the X's.

I know in percussion notation and some guitar strumming notation those arrow looking figures represent down stroke and up strokes. But, doesn't really seem to apply here though does it.
dubrosa22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

In string notation V over a note indicates bowing direction.

I've only seen a V between two notes, as in your example, when it implies a "break" of indeterminate length.
That is used in avant-garde music where even barlines and time signatures may be only implied:

There are two V (break) examples above over the rests.

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)