tenor recorder

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
thisroad
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

tenor recorder

Post by thisroad »

Hello everyone, how are you?
I've decided to get a beginner Tenor recorder, the sound of it is much more gentle and warmer from the Alto the Soprano. I will be happy to hear your advice about it. I'm looking for a recorder with a good sound, and would be happy if it will be easy to play with (I have quite large hands, and i believe I'll manage to work with the Tenor), but the sound is more important. which of this 3 models would you recommend? and as a beginner, do i really need "keys"?

1) A 211 Brown plastic, 3 piece, no key, light weight Aulos
2) YRT-304B Brown Plastic, C, C# keys, cloth case Yamaha
3) A 511B Plastic, dark brown, vinyl case, C, C# Keys Aulos

Thank you!!!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: tenor recorder

Post by Peter Duggan »

Get the Yamaha; it's quite simply the best value around in tenor recorders and as good as most at any price. And, yes, you want the keys. It's not like keyless and keyed flutes, where the keys are optional 'extras', because you basically need them for the stretch (nothing to do with beginner vs. 'expert') and the Aulos keyless is typical of keyless tenors in having compromised low notes from the smaller holes necessitated by their position.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Get either the Yamaha or an Aulos 511 (not the 211) from this guy: http://www.aswltd.com/

He tunes voices them before he sales them so you're getting a much better playing instrument than if you bought the same flute from say Amazon, or wherever.

The 211 was kind of crummy which gave Aulos a bad reputation, but anyone that's actually seen or played the 511 will tell you it's a good design on par with the Yamaha.

The Yamaha has a sightly thinner bore than the Aulos 511.
ganchan

Post by ganchan »

Anybody here attach a neck strap to their tenor recorder? I come from the world of saxophones where such things are normal, and I'm thinking I'd like an alternative to a thumb rest....especially since a more relaxed hand is more likely to manage a bigger stretch.

I'd like to use a real neck strap rather just a piece of string or whatever. So, should I just attach an elastic/metal/Velcro band tightly around the recorder body, with a little loop of something sticking out at a right angle to hold the neck strap hook? If so, where along the body should the band go? Just beneath the head joint?

I also wonder whether a knick tenor would lend itself more readily to a neck strap than a straight one. That may be the old alto sax player in me talking. But then, soprano saxes take neck straps....
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

I started out with a neck strap and a thrumbrest....

But let me tell you a big secret: if you need them, UR DOIN IT WRONG :)

Most people (including me...) when they start out, hold their tenor recorder too vertically, allowing too much spit to fall in and clog the windway. A thrumbrest and/or neckstrap encourages this bad habit! So hold it more horizontally, so less spit gets in and you don't have to bother with a thrumbrest or dorky neckstrap!!!!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Pickles wrote:Most people (including me...) when they start out, hold their tenor recorder too vertically, allowing too much spit to fall in and clog the windway.
If you're letting spit fall *anywhere*, you're already doing it wrong! But this is a totally separate issue from a good playing position, which won't be compromised by properly implemented thumb rests or straps.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?