Perhaps a stupid question about the xaphoon

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
musicaddict99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Perhaps a stupid question about the xaphoon

Post by musicaddict99 »

Is it possible to tape over some of the finger holes and convert the xaphoon into diatonic instrument, instead of a chromatic instrument with an insane fingering pattern for notes? :-?
sfmans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Perhaps a stupid question about the xaphoon

Post by sfmans »

The Xaphoon has, at the best of times, a fairly loose association with the Western musical scale as it is generally recognised.

I'd have thought you'd do far better to just ignore the fingerings you really don't like and work on the assumption that those notes aren't in the instrument"s scale; I really can't imagine that taping some holes is going to make things any better ...
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Perhaps a stupid question about the xaphoon

Post by Kypfer »

Looking at the fingering chart on the manufacturer's web-site http://www.xaphoon.com/fingeringcharts.html it would seem a diatonic pattern is (almost) available in the key of C until you get up to B ... so not quite an octave, but may be worth considering if you already have an instrument. Personally I'd block the unused holes with beeswax, no chance of a leak and looks neater (traditional, even!)

If you're looking for something a little "different" and have yet to make a purchase I'd suggest a "chalumeau", basically a keyless clarinet, available economically from Hanson http://www.hansonclarinets.com/Hanson_C ... umeau.html or in wood from several other manufacturers at varying prices. I have a Hohner "Pocket Clarinet", much the same thing ... it's a lot of fun :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."