Cork position on American Plating fife?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Cork position on American Plating fife?

Post by Katharine »

A long shot (and i wasn't sure if this would belong here, or the flute forum), but does anyone have one of these American Plating fifes, and could you please measure to see where the cork is situated, and let me know? I have one and the cork has been lost (long story, but not through my action!), and it occurred to me that before messing around with it myself, I seem to recall they'd been mentioned here and perhaps someone still has one and I could find out, the easy way, where to put the new cork. :) It's a fun little thing to mess around with so I'd like to get it up and running again.

Thanks!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
accordionstu

Re: Cork position on American Plating fife?

Post by accordionstu »

Hi Katherine, i am not familiar with the type of Fife you mention however I have bought plenty of fifes and flutes on ebay and more often than not I have to replace the corks. I usually cut a new cork out of a wine cork or those synthetic corks they use nowadays, i cut them slightly larger than the internal barrell then rub it down with fine sandpaper until it is a snug fit, then after applying a small amount of petrolleum jelly, i push it in using a wooden dowell until it is close to the embouchure hole and keep playing it until each note sounds correct. There may be a technical method but if its only to play about with at home theres nothing to lose by giving it a try.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I think I can probably get an el-cheapo cork for this one at a craft store. I can figure out the position by messing with it, but I figured it might be easier if someone already knew the measurement (I could also visit the store where I got it and see if they have another and measure that, but when I bought mine I think it was the only one they had and I'm not sure if they ever ordered more-- it might've just been a one-off thing they happened to have).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

There's no quick answer but ...

Also I am not familiar with that instrument other than having seen them on eBay. I recall discussing them on either the flute or whistle forum. Ah, I see you were part of the most recent threads on that fife. Here was an earlier thread.

The place to start is to position the face of the cork at a distance from the center of the embouchure hole equal to the bore of the fife at the embouchure hole. So if the bore of the fife is 1/2" then you measure on a dowel 1/2" from the end and make a mark on the dowel at that point. Get the cork into the bore in the fashion described by Stu. Once the cork gets close to the embouchure hole you can use the tick on the stick to set a starting position for tuning.

The cork's position will tune the octaves to bring them into alignment. If you place the cork in the starting position and the second and third octaves are flat to the first octave then you nudge the cork towards the embouchure hole. If the high octaves are sharp of the low octave then you move the cork away from the embouchure hole. The face of the cork should not get to the edge of the embouchure hole. You can perform the octave alignment test on several notes as well.

All of this is strictly dependent on the assumption that you already play the fife and that your blowing technique is not going to be in question as you position the cork.

There are several sites in the Internet devoted to playing the fife. Each likely has a section on tuning. Google will help you find the right pages. They should tell a similar story to what I have tried to describe.

You could also post your inquiry to the flute forum to see if any of the other American Plating fife owners show up too.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks, Feadoggie. I'm suspecting that's probably the route I'll have to go. I was starting to get on with this little fife months and months ago, but I can't make any promises on my embouchure now... cross your fingers for me! (Alternately, maybe I could get someone at the flute shop to help!)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.