NAF out of tune

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Re: NAF out of tune

Post by ThorntonRose »

This NAF has plays the natural scale (322222), plus a few accidentals. It's a little different, but I have been able to noodle out some tunes from my whistle repetoire, such as Suo Gan and The South Wind.
talasiga

Raag Gopika Basant

Post by talasiga »

ThortonRose, that exceeds 12 semitones (octave).
Don't you mean 3:2:2:1:2:2 instead?
(my understanding is that is a type of hexatonic scale of many NAF).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Denny wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
NAF out of tune
Aren't they all?
different scale white man!
MTGuru wrote:I've read that the traditional design (or one of them) is equal-sized holes, equally spaced the distance of a thumb-width.
Well, there you go! You're not out of tune, you're traditional!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

A "standard" modern 5-hole NAF would have a natural scale of 3:2:2:3:2, or in G: G Bb c d f g. The 6-hole NAF allows a scale M6th 3:2:2:2:1:2, or in G: G Bb c d e f g. Basically a gapped Dorian with the 2nd missing.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Tuning a Bell note/Keynote/Fundamental/Root note, is done by changing the bore end hole diameter. If the note is sharp, reduction of the diameter with "Blu-Tack" or other type putty will flatten the note. The reverse is also true. Quena Makers use this technique on short bore Bamboo to lower the Keynote

Tone holes can be tuned in the same manner. If the holes have been undercut, a little application of putty to reduce the diameter will flatten the note. Rolling a piece of fine grain sandpaper into a "cone shape" can be used to sand/increase the undercut to sharpen the note. SMALL INCREMENTS!!!

If you make a mistake, you can correct an oversized hole with clear laquer/nail polish. You can also make a tuning reduction permanent this way too.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com