Koudi

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Koudi

Post by I.D.10-t »

Ancient Koudi (bone flute) this is actually something called a gudi (bone flute), but it did make me wonder.

On wikipedia's entry for Koudi it says that it was invented in 1971 by Yu Xunfa. Yet on another site it seems to have a longer history.

Anyone know the history of this thing?

And then there's the thumpy...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Koudi

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I found this "Blog page" on the Gudi
http://claudiaperotti.blogspot.com/2008 ... ument.html

The pre-word "Gu" or "Kou" may mean the same thing (bone flute). China is a big place with many dialects. I do know the the end-word "Di" means membrane and is used in the Dizi Flute. I suggest Kou-di may mean "Bone flute with membrane"???

(note: A thin membrane is placed over a dorsal hole near an antinode or "place of highest vibration" on a Dizi. this hole is near the normal "speaker key" thumbhole position. It provides a nasal/reedy tone to the instrument.)

I hope this helps(?)
Thomas Hastay.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think Gudi (骨笛 ) is just "bone flute" and could be applied to either side or end blown.

The Koudi flute doesn't seem to have a membrane, I'll see if I can find what the characters 口笛 mean, not a bad idea to break down the words. Found it seems like 口 ("mouth") 笛 (transverse bamboo flute).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
sigman

Post by sigman »

yu xunfa(俞逊发) - koudi(口笛)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA3NDk2OA==.html