Medieval wind instruments?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

I wish you good luck, and I'll keep an eye on this forum in the future, for any updates.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Yuri wrote:I'd guess that the hammered dulcimer is a bit on the soft side, unless the gurdy is a soft one, too. And the bodhran is a bit on the strong side. But all in all it's not too much different, and worth trying out. If you mike them up, you can balance the strenght better.
Hammer dulcimers are a bit strange in that the times that I have heard them play they have a very bright, precise sound that cuts through the sound of other instruments.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

My opinion is probably influenced by a recent observation of a busker playing the H.D. in a busy market. It was loud around him, normal market sounds + cars passing by. You sora cold hear him, but not exactly the nuances of the finer points. But I suppose in a band setting that would work differently.
Well, yeah. good luck with the band. Post a vid on youtube when you are up and running.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

When I played with a Hammered dulcimer player years ago, I could hardly hear my own Uilleann pipes (concert D). I'd guess the hurdy-gurdy will probably be the quietest of these instruments.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Depends on what type. A Hungarian gurdy can be rather overpowering. They are very different from the French ones.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MichaelLoos wrote:When I played with a Hammered dulcimer player years ago, I could hardly hear my own Uilleann pipes (concert D). I'd guess the hurdy-gurdy will probably be the quietest of these instruments.
I wonder where folks are finding these extra-noisy hammered dulcimers?
I can't hear the one in our session if I'm more than one chair away from it.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

The dulcimer player was Jim Couza, I think he made the instrument himself. This was the loudest hammered dulcimer I have ever heard, it easily overpowered my concert cimbalomOf course, a lot depends on the hammers and the striking technique.
vonHorna

Re: Medieval wind instruments?

Post by vonHorna »

In case that somebody might still be interested in a more or less chromatic instrument which could be used in a "medieval" band I'd suggest the spanish Tarota which for example is played by the band "els berros de la cort" (you might find them on youtube)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cork

Post by Cork »

vonHorna wrote:In case that somebody might still be interested in a more or less chromatic instrument which could be used in a "medieval" band I'd suggest the spanish Tarota which for example is played by the band "els berros de la cort" (you might find them on youtube)
Yeah! They look good. They sound good. (thanks, Denny)

Pass the mead!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Whoa...I really like their sound! I might have to break down and buy a recording of that stuff.

I guess no one ever told them that marching while playing those double reeds is a health hazard..
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West