A few kaval questions

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
paals
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A few kaval questions

Post by paals »

A few months ago I posted this:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61267

Thanks once again to those who helped me. I appreciate your helpful reaction a lot.

As to my adventures with the kaval, well... I didn't buy the instrument then. But... visiting the hardware store last Friday I couldn't resist having a look at different PVC pipes. The only thing I could remember was the inside diameter of a kaval, which should be 10 - 20 mm. All of a sudden, I found myself purchasing a 3 m PVC pipe, 16/22 mm inside/outside diameter. The rest went fast - thanks to Mr. Slama's website - and on Saturday afternoon I officially started playing the kaval. I could find a 'sound' in about half an hour, but I still can't keep it stable; a matter of practicing, I suppose - the time between 'kissing' the tube each time and making it whistle is getting shorter :-).

What surprised me, was the (relative) ease at which I could get the clarinet-like sound out of my 'pipe'. I'm working on it even more than on the basic sound as I like it a lot - it is strong, warm and smells like Orient :-). The only thing that is strange to me, is the fact that the root note (all fingers down), which is supposed to be D/Re, goes about a whole tone up, to somewhere near E/Mi. (I mean 'E' statistically - it is something between Eb and (more often) F, depending on blowing). I assume I'm not able to blow properly, but - knowing almost nothing about the acoustics of wind instruments - there may be something else to it. The only thing I did my way was the thickness of the walls; for a PVC kaval, they usually seem to be half that thick maximum, so my 3 mm could be adding some unexpected value. So, if you could explain it to me a little, I'd be grateful.

Also, if I buy a wooden student Bulgarian kaval of the $100+ range, what should I expect, comparing to my tube? Is it supposed to be easier to blow, or have stronger/louder/more beautiful/... sound, with more/less air? Will the lowest register and the 'kaba' be easier to find? (I haven't found them yet; is it me more likely, or the instrument?).

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. Kaval is a beautiful instrument indeed; I wish I'd taken it up earlier...
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A few kaval questions

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I am not sure what to say about your plastic kaval, it could be a lot a variables that make it so sharp, but likely it has to do with the embouchure. Also, it's often difficult to make a flute in tune if you don't know how to play it per say. My recommendation would be to focus only on the first (lowest) register, not even kaba, just try to get a good clean low note. As time progresses work your way up, it takes a while to get good volume and tone, but be patient, there is that eureka moment when the instrument opens up.
As far as the $100 kaval go, just keep on playing the plastic ones, and save up for a good one. I wasted a lot of time on those ebay kavals, or ones from various shops on the net, as beautiful as they may be they really don't play all that well. There are good makers, but it's best to order a kaval through a professional player just to ensure you get a good one. Where are you based out of, perhaps there is a player or maker in your neck of the woods that can help out?
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I'm not quite sure if I understand you right - do you mean, the clarinet register is one tone higher, starting at E? If so, that's how it should be.
Regarding the kaval, I share O_Gaitero's opinion, it is definitely better to save up for a really good one (which will still be very cheap compared to other instruments, for something like 300 $ you should be able to get a top quality instrument).
paals

Post by paals »

Thanks for sharing ideas again. Just to add, I'm geting a little of the lowest register, down to F#/F. Very weak, though, but promising.

Yes, I DO get E as the root note in the clarinet register. I'm relieved it is correct. Is it something about 'transposing' instruments that is happening here?

$300 maximum isn't that bad indeed. If you know any makers that can be trusted, I'd love to know their names. I don't think I could find an experienced player to help me choose the kaval, so your experience is more than appreciated.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Try Veso Hasabaliev:
http://www.kavalibg.com/en_index.html
You can hear him playing his own instruments on youtube, also, Nedyalko Nedyalkov plays Instruments by Veso.
Other top class makers are Zhechko Zhekev from Straldja town and Encho Pashov from Plovdiv, but they cannot be contacted via Internet, and I'm not sure if they understand English.
Good luck!
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

paals wrote:thanks to Mr. Slama's website - and on Saturday afternoon I officially started playing the kaval. I could find a 'sound' in about half an hour, but I still can't keep it stable; a matter of practicing, I suppose - the time between 'kissing' the tube each time and making it whistle is getting shorter :-).

What surprised me, was the (relative) ease at which I could get the clarinet-like sound out of my 'pipe'. I'm working on it even more than on the basic sound as I like it a lot - it is strong, warm and smells like Orient :-). The only thing that is strange to me, is the fact that the root note (all fingers down), which is supposed to be D/Re, goes about a whole tone up, to somewhere near E/Mi. (I mean 'E' statistically - it is something between Eb and (more often) F, depending on blowing). I assume I'm not able to blow properly, but - knowing almost nothing about the acoustics of wind instruments - there may be something else to it. The only thing I did my way was the thickness of the walls; for a PVC kaval, they usually seem to be half that thick maximum, so my 3 mm could be adding some unexpected value. So, if you could explain it to me a little, I'd be grateful.

Also, if I buy a wooden student Bulgarian kaval of the $100+ range, what should I expect, comparing to my tube? Is it supposed to be easier to blow, or have stronger/louder/more beautiful/... sound, with more/less air? Will the lowest register and the 'kaba' be easier to find? (I haven't found them yet; is it me more likely, or the instrument?).

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. Kaval is a beautiful instrument indeed; I wish I'd taken it up earlier...
Congratulations on your start with the kaval. Mike (Slama) is a good guy and I am pleased to hear that his site helped you to get started.

At the bottom of this page you will see fingering charts:
http://www.robertsnider.com/Kavals/Finger.htm

The rest of Robert's site is very helpful as well.

Be patient, it is quite possible to blow a kaval very sharp or very flat or a combination of both from note to note. If you are getting sounds out of the instrument, you are off to a very good start.

The D/Re kaval should sound a D in the 1st register. Keep in mind that the "real" 1st register on a kaval is not really played as it is very weak. When the instrument is played in "kaba" it is actually a combination of the 1st and 2nd registers, but the notes sound in the pitch of the 1st register with lots of harmonics. The 2nd register is generally the starting point for people just starting out on the kaval and is an octave up from the "kaba" register.

Nikola Ganchev :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrJj7Y3E9s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOQPv_pELw

Got to go now, but feel free to PM me.

...john

These are what mine look like. Top kaval is in A/La, bottom one is in C/Do.

paals

Post by paals »

Thanks, John. I'm a bit late, but I was sure I should be back soon. So, here I am :).

I'm still trying to make up my mind about the kaval. I'm very close to ordering one from Veselin Hasabaliev.

Browsing videos, however, I came across a video of Th. Spassov playing something that looks like an aluminium (?) Bulgarian-style (in terms of shape and visual ornamentaion) kaval:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuCQID8muA&NR=1

Do you happen to know who makes them? Just curious - aluminium is less demanding than wood in terms of moisture and crack resistance. If you've ever had any experience with them, please, write a few words. Thanks in advance.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

Maybe you should ask Theodosii himself: www.theodosiispassov.com
Obviously, this video is a good few years old. There must be a reason why he doesn't play this particular instrument any longer.
None of my wooden kavals has any cracks, and I don't care for them particularly well - just a bit of almond oil every now and then.