Wood quena: is it better thin walled or thick walled ?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
gerardo1000

Wood quena: is it better thin walled or thick walled ?

Post by gerardo1000 »

I have tried a few quenas ,all made with hardwood. Some have thin walls and bigger holes, some have thick walls and smaller holes. I find that the thin walled/big holed quenas have more volume and are more responsive,
but it is more difficult to cover the holes. On the other side, the thick walled quenas have a mellower sound, less volume, they are less responsive, but it is easier to play "clean" notes because it is easier to cover the holes.
I wonder if some quena expert could give an opinion on what is closer to the traditional original quena. Thanks.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Wood quena: is it better thin walled or thick walled ?

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I believe I gave you some of this info in email format, but I'll put it here for the public to see. I guess I could call my self a professional quenista of sorts, I play in several groups, and teach it. I find that for quena it's a very personal instrument, and finding what works best for you may not be best for others. My preferance is for large bore, large holed, and thick walled instruments. This is something you likely will not find in a commercially available instrument, I either make my own, or have friends make them. The advantage of a thicker wall is more to do with the cut in the embouchure, similar to what you will encounter with wooden flute. I try to get an Irish flute sort of sound on my quena, so the instruments I play are set up for that.
As far as what is traditional, it depends on where you are, and who you are talking to. For instance Facio Santillan, one of the quena greats, used a thin wall quena with an open end. On the other hand modern masters like like Raul Olarte use thick walled semi-closed end instruments, much like I use. I think the norm is somewhere in between there. In either case bambu is the industry standard so to speak. I've got plenty of wood quenas, but the bambu ones just have that great sound. The thicker waller, big bore instruments take quite a bit of air to play, they are the Pratten of quena. I actually like the big holes, for one thing it opens it up a bit, and on the other hand it's easier to half hole notes.
My hunch is that you perhaps don't quite no how to play it and you are making assumptions a bit to early in the game. Play for a few months on all your quena, and then re-evaluate the situation. I don't think anyone playing a flute is going to get an ideal tone after a few weeks of having an instrument, it takes time. I'd focus on improving your tone, and embouchure and you'll notice how the instruments should open up for you. I saw the pics of the ones you are selling, they are not fantastic instruments, but decent enough to learn on I am sure, hang on to them.
gerardo1000

Re: Wood quena: is it better thin walled or thick walled ?

Post by gerardo1000 »

Thank you, again, for taking the time to answer my questions and to share your experience.