What else are you folks not bothering to share?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What else are you folks not bothering to share?

Post by mutepointe »

I got a $20 12-hole plastic Zelda Ocarina at Christmas only because a teenage boy I know wanted to learn to play the Zelda songs. If I was buying one ocarina for him, I was buying an ocarina for me and the other boys too. Besides the fact that it's honking loud and can't be played softly, it has a very nice sound. My friends like this ocarina way better than pennywhistles.

What other relatively inexpensive, easy to learn, different and nice sounding folk wind instruments are there?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What else are you folks not bothering to share?

Post by Doc Jones »

Ocarinas are great fun.

I like the mountain ocarinas http://www.mountainsocarina.com/

Watch this guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzR5Ns_eom8

and the

Charlie Hind Ocarinas http://hindocarina.com/

Harmonicas are a blast too.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I've kinda switched over to ocarina from whistle, and the ocarina I play is a Mountain ocarina. The main reason for the switch, and that choice, is portability/indestructability. I'm not a professional musician, but it's important to me to have a way of making music. I love the whistle, but my family gets tired of it fast. I keep one in the car, but it's not always convenient to carry one around with me. The ocarina (some of them, anyway) is more portable, but the clay ones are pretty fragile. The Mountain is designed precisely to be taken with you anywhere. Even the high-end models are just about indestructible, and carry a lifetime guarantee anyway. As a result, I tend to have my ocarina with me every day, all day, either on the neck strap or in a pocket. And since I have it with me, I play it.

The ocarina doesn't have the whistle's range. I guess the range is more similar to Irish/Scottish pipes (I'm not certain about that, however). But a lot of Irish or Scottish trad tunes can be adapted to be played on the ocarina, usually by dropping the B part down an octave. That's what I did in this version of "Crested Hens": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDUAi106Nwo.

The polycarbonate models are pretty inexpensive too.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest a Chalumeau or Xaphoon. These are small "Pennywhistle" type clarinets. You can also get some realy good PVC Bagpipe "practice chanters". I also recommend a small tenor Native American Flute with a drone pipe. (use google image search)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I think my next wind instrument may be a Xaphoon.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

And don't forget to check out the Susato webssite for Gemshorns, Crumhorns, and others. They've got quite an impressive lineup these days.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info