Got an ocarina, don't like it!

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Got an ocarina, don't like it!

Post by AuLoS303 »

I got myself an ocarina with birthday money (Focalink AC plastic alto)
Oh its a good instrument, I read up about it a lot before making the plunge. But I have issues with it. Despite it being an alto I find it shrill. Its not so much the tone itself, which is deeper than a whistle, but there must be some overtones that actually hurt my ears! Also the fingering is totally different to recorder or whistle, and it makes my thumb hurt. So I'm stuck with an instrument I don't like. Though it does make a good paperweight...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Got an ocarina, don't like it!

Post by plunk111 »

You might try an inline ocarina like one of these. I have a few and they are easy to play, but rather limited. I only play ocarinas by myself with (hopefully) no one listening! They are great "out in the woods" instruments!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Those do look nice but I can't really have any more instruments. And if I did have money to spend it would probably be on another whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

What ocarina did you get? I've got two. (Actually, more than that, but two really good ones.) I can play them OK, but I've heard other people play ocarinas, and they can be brilliant instruments.

It would be useful to know what make you have, and maybe get a picture or two. It could be you, rather than the instrument.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

A post with picture on AuLoS303’s blog: https://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... t.html?m=1
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

AaronFW wrote:A post with picture on AuLoS303’s blog: https://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... t.html?m=1
OK. Thanks Aaron. I used to have a plastic ocarina or two, but mine, at least, were no good as instruments. I really don't know whether that's because of the material, or just that they were poor quality. I can't see any reason why a plastic ocarina shouldn't be just as good as one made with any other substance. However, my two good ones are both made from clay. The better one looks rough as anything, but plays beautifully (or would, if I was a better player!)
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:What ocarina did you get? I've got two. (Actually, more than that, but two really good ones.) I can play them OK, but I've heard other people play ocarinas, and they can be brilliant instruments.

It would be useful to know what make you have, and maybe get a picture or two. It could be you, rather than the instrument.
Its a Focalink AC plastic, alto. It is a quality instrument. Or rather it was. I mailed to a friend who is sending me a flute in exchange.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

What type of flute are you receiving in exchange?
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

AaronFW wrote:What type of flute are you receiving in exchange?
A fortissimo. The lady who is sending it plays in a band (flute, trombone, recorder) and has this old cheap spare one. So she decided to send it to me so I could get to grips with flute embouchure. It has a damaged foot so doesn't go down to D but its playable. Hoping it comes today...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:
A fortissimo. The lady who is sending it plays in a band (flute, trombone, recorder) and has this old cheap spare one. So she decided to send it to me so I could get to grips with flute embouchure. It has a damaged foot so doesn't go down to D but its playable. Hoping it comes today...
I don't get that. If it doesn't go down to D, surely it's not playable? Well, not in the ordinary sense ...
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:
I don't get that. If it doesn't go down to D, surely it's not playable? Well, not in the ordinary sense ...
It does down to C? Ive no idea, never had a flute. I do know that a flute has a 3 octave range so its missing just the lowest note.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I don't get that. If it doesn't go down to D, surely it's not playable? Well, not in the ordinary sense ...
It does down to C? Ive no idea, never had a flute. I do know that a flute has a 3 octave range so its missing just the lowest note.
It can't just be "missing the lowest note". If it's missing D, then it's missing, at the very least, the bottom D, the middle D and the D at the top of the second octave, and probably some other notes as well. For just about any trad, and absolutely all classical music, that would make it unplayable.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Then I stated it incorrectly. One key on the foot isnt working properly, I press it, its stiff and doesn't spring back tho it can be moved back open. But all other notes play.
Its certainly good enough to learn on.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

It's low C or C# you're missing and luckily that doesn't really matter.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Its actually the Eb/D# key thats stuck. Right hand pinky finger key

http://wfg.woodwind.org/flute/fing_flconc.html