It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 pm 

Just wanted to post a quick note about the new Hall Crystal Flute designs that were being shown at the NAMM 2015 show in Anaheim this past weekend.

In previous years, I've tried to play their instruments and found the circular raised embouchure nearly impossible to deal with.

This year, they've redesigned the instrument to have a more oval-shaped embouchure with a sharper trailing edge. They are amazing.

I played every key they sold, piccolos and D and C, and lower instruments in F, G, D, and C. All were excellent. The reach on the low D and low C with the inline holes was a challenge for my small hands, but they are also making offset hole instruments in many of the keys now that are quite manageable.

I bought one of their demo D piccolos to play in sessions, it's just so easy to play and in tune.

If you're on Facebook and interested in hearing one the new instruments live, I posted a demo video of the piccolo, taken in a stairwell at the NAMM show, both on my page and on the Hall Crystal Flute page:

https://www.facebook.com/hallflutes?ref=br_tf

I've not felt like I could recommend one of these to anyone in the past. Now I think they're a great value. Since they are handmade there is a bit of instrument-to-instrument variation, so I'd suggest trying several if it's possible and pick the best.

Here are two photos of the piccolo I bought showing the overall instrument and focusing on the oval embouchure:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eskin/set ... 168563374/

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited by eskin on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 am 

Thanks for this Michael.

Souding great.

Glad to hear of the improvement.
I didn't think the original model was very good.

Will add this to the piccolo page.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm 

Sounds great, Michael. The tone is really lovely. How do you find the intonation on these flutes? I've played Boehm flutes and all manner of atrocious ethnic flute-shaped objects, but nothing that I would call an Irish flute yet. Considering its low price would you recommend these for a relative beginner like me? How fragile is the glass? Would you ever consider unpacking one in a session environment?

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm 

The intonation on this D piccolo is very good. That being said, if having a perfectly in-tune instrument is crucial, I'd go to a festival or store where you can try several and pick the best one. Not every one I tried was as in-tune as this one, but all were very good. Like any flute, you do have to pay attention to the intonation while playing and make minor adjustments, but I didn't find it harder than any other flute. I found that some of the C piccolos had a tendency towards more of a just-intonation third, but not all of them. The end of the tube on the embouchure end is fairly parabolic, and the octaves are quite well in tune on mine.

I don't know how break-resistant it is. They are made from borosilicate pyrex glass so seem pretty robust. I'm keeping mine in a padded case. At least the raised tone holes will keep it from rolling off a table.

As far as sessions, I'm heading out in a hour to my local session and will give it a try at some point. I'll let you know how it goes. It's louder than the Copeland high D whistle I usually play, but I haven't measured the SPL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 am 

Tried the piccolo on a couple sets of tunes at our session last night. Received several positive comments regarding the tone quality and volume. Appears to blend well with other instruments and is in tune.