Old "piccolo" flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Italian Rover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Old "piccolo" flute

Post by Italian Rover »

Someone who can help me? :poke:
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Italian Rover

Miracles happens

Post by Italian Rover »

No words.
I repadded the piccolo with R5 "zip" pads. Now sing like a nightingale: thin, clear, focused.
The only defect is the brown color of the fipple, but i am really satisfied.

-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Good news. :thumbsup:
Italian Rover wrote:I repadded the piccolo with R5 "zip" pads. Now sing like a nightingale: thin, clear, focused.
I would think that it sings more like an "Oriole". :D

So, back at the outset of your adventure, I probably should have suggested that step 1 is to make sure the piccolo plays well before you operate on it. Glad things worked out.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Feadoggie wrote:I would think that it sings more like an "Oriole".
ehm... yes: is a little bit... "oriolish" :lol: but sings quiet and clear and this is a small success, for me.
But now, sure that the stuff works well, i can try to make another fipple in delrin or other material. It was fun but is not enough!
Thanks, feadoggie
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Congratulations! I cannot tell if you have retained the tuning slide or if you have fastened the
Susato fipple directly to the tuning barrel. Have you played it against a tuner yet? How does it
compare to a tuning of A-440 Hz?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

an seanduine wrote:Congratulations! I cannot tell if you have retained the tuning slide or if you have fastened the
Susato fipple directly to the tuning barrel. Have you played it against a tuner yet? How does it
compare to a tuning of A-440 Hz?

Bob
Thanks Bob!
Not yet played with a tuner ( i need a microphone :puppyeyes: ). Anyway i think this picture explains all: i sawed the original embochure at the proper lenght, then slightly machined to assemble the fipple on it. A small teflon tape completed the work.
I dislike the brown color of the fipple even if perfect in size more, after playing some tunes, i think that i should build another fipple. This one sounds, but i want to experiment something else.