I miss my Irish Flute *Sob*

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

It's so depressing I have so much wonderful irish flute music, and my flute is away getting fixed! (not that I am complaining about getting it fixed, it's just I miss it so much)
I am trying to play the music on my classical flute but after playing 4 months on a keyless irish flute, classical just isn't the same, (also you have to push way to many buttons for my liking). Has anyone ever had this experience? I am finding I really hate the E Flat key, you have to push for all the notes other than D. :wink:

Well, enough complaining from me.

Caryn
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

I don't have an Irish Flute, and I'm trying to learn using a classical flute and whistles. Anyway, I totally agree. Whistle (and Irish Flute) fingering is so natural in comparison to Boehm flute fingering. And I hate that Eb key too. In fact, I often don't bother with it! Doesn't seem to affect intonation/tone too much.

Joe
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Here's the backside of the issue for you. Because I learned on the Boehm, I find it entirely natural. And I love the Eb key. In fact, it has developed strength and dexterity in my pinky. So when I play whistle I automatically use the pinky for stabilization without affecting speed.

So, keep at it and the Eb will become your friend. I do agree with you, though, that there are many buttons to push. That is one reason why I enjoy whistle/simple flute. They are a bit of a rest from having to think so much, but I will always enjoy my silver flute.

Peace,
Erik
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

good point, Erik.
But remember, too, some of the vintage instruments likely REQUIRED use of the Eb key for proper venting and intonation of the notes above. I had one Rudall&Rose that was a morbid player on the E and F# without a vented Eb. Vented, they were gorgeous notes indeed! Most of today's makers, however, keep this in mind and are good enough to dispense with venting the Eb. The notes are good enough, but vented, they really blast!
Just something to keep in mind.