DJ Kenny

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: DJ Kenny

Post by Steve Bliven »

Actually, out of that great list of tunes/songs, my favorite is "When Halley Came to Jackson". Thanks for pulling that out of her early works.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Cheers, Steve. I agree - a great song. I see you're a Robert Earl Keen fan. I will get round to playing a song or two by him sometime in the future.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

Need a bit of help here, folks, and we might be able to make it worth your while. We had a local musician on our programme last Wednesday, Finn O’Neill, who’s a very enthusiastic player of both banjo and bodhran, and almost omnipresent in sessions in and around Aberdeen. We asked Finn to pick 3 tracks of his own choice and he came up with a track which I can’t identify, and it’s bugging the hell out of me, because I think I might have given it to him in the first place and can’t remember where it came from. Problem was that he had it on his iPod, so there are no details such as you’d get in the good old days of CDs, and dare I say it, LPs, where you had sleeve notes or inserts.
It’s possibly Kevin Griffin on banjo, but I’m not 100% certain about that. We can’t identify the first reel, the 2nd is the reel which Mary Bergin started off her very 1st solo album, and the 3rd is the reel commonly known as “The Convenience Reel”. Can anybody tell me what the first reel is, and the recording where this track came from ?

We also have a competition running for copies of “Hunter’s Moon” by Scottish flute player, Calum Stewart and Breton guitarist, Heikki Bourgault, which should prove ridiculously easy to the denizens of this website.
Please have a go – the programme’s email address is given below :
The programme link is this :

http://www.shmu.org.uk/fm/shows/wednesday-session

Finn’s mystery track starts at : 14m10s
The competition starts at : 35m00s

Email your answers to : thewednesdaysession@shmu.org.uk

Any help, and competition entries - much appreciated.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The first tune of Finn's mystery track is Sam Cormier’s reel, aka Denis Langtou's (really Lanctôt's): https://thesession.org/tunes/3788

The second tune is Friel's Reel: https://thesession.org/tunes/2464

The third tune is, as you say, The Convenience: https://thesession.org/tunes/226

Friel's is very similar (but not identical) to Mary Bergin's Gan Ainm - which was identified as John Naughton's after your own posting of the tune on The Session. And the discussion under Friel's mentions Cathal Hayden (of Four Men and a Dog) and/or Celine Donaghue*, both on banjo, as a possible source. So maybe that's enough info for you to track down the track. :-)

* Interesting that the track listing of Celine Donaghue's source recording mentioned above has her playing Friel's and The Convenience as a set, which is 2/3 of the mystery track: http://www.scottishmusiccentre.com/catalogue/c33627/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kenny

Post by kenny »

The Guru wins a coconut ! First track from Celine Donoghue's CD "Something Else". Thank you,ma freend !
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oooh, I like coconuts! Keep posting challenges, and maybe I'll end up with a lovely bunch. :lol:

Yer very welcome, Mr H.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hi Kenny

Anything by Harry Bradley !!
Plus a bit of piping, obviously...now where do I start with suggestions there?!

And for the young ones....a bit of Treacherous Orchestra's new CD

Good luck with the radio presenting

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

kenny

Post by kenny »

Cheers, Boyd - I'll try to fit in one of your requests a week on Wednesday. Last week's programme started and finished with piping tracks, with 2 interesting flute tracks around the middle - a duet by Larry Nugent and Kevin Henry and a track by Michael Clarkson.
Here's the track listing :

1 - OPENING JINGLE

2 – “The Beauty Spot / Kiss The Maid Behind The Barrel” -“Danu”

3 – “ Pretty Polly" - by “Red Tail Ring”

4 – “Crossing To Ireland” - “Appalachian Celtic Consort”

5 – “Ceathru Cavan / The Wild Irishman” - John & James Kelly

6 – “Rosette" - Le Vent Du Nord”

7 - “Theme For Scotland” - Alistair Fraser / “Skyedance”

8 – “Ashplant / The Merry Harriers / Galway Rambler”
- Larry Nugent & Kevin Henry

9 - OPENING JINGLE / WHAT’S ON”

10 – “Mamma’s Pet / The Star Of Munster” - Michael Clarkson & Gerry Jones

11 - “Phone Tapping" by Eamon Friel

12- "tune 3 Mashup" - Granny Green, Glasgow

13 - Play Out –“ Planxty Davis” - Leonard Barry

Link - you can hear this up until Thursday : http://www.shmu.org.uk/fm/shows/wednesday-session

All the best, Kenny
kenny

Post by kenny »

Found a track you might not have heard before, Boyd. Have you heard John Byrne ? Player of uilleann pipes and various wind instruments - heard him playing in Cork last year, and bought the CDs immediately.
kenny

Post by kenny »

PS - programme goes out live in 2 hours. We're saving Harry for the St.Patrick's Day programme, [ although it'll be nearly a week early ].
kenny

Post by kenny »

Errrr...................or maybe not. "Technical hitch", apparently.................watch this space. K.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Boyd - uilleann pipes track by John Byrne is about half way through the programme.
There are also flute tracks featuring Michael McGoldrick [ "Trip To Pakistan" ] and Neansai ni Choisdealbha, 2 new releases from Scotland, a great new song from "Danu's" new CD, fiddle from Duncan Chisholm, guitar from Tony McManus, and a superb bit of "low" whistle playing from Fraser Shaw. If you want a bit of a laugh, listen to "Tuesday Night Is Only Karaoke".
Full track list below :

1 - [ OPENING JINGLE ]

2 – “The Trip To Pakistan / Edinburgh Rock” -
McGoldrick, McCusker & Doyle

3 – “Puirt-a-beul [ Gaelic mouth music ] - Mairi MacInnes
[ New release - CD title “Gras” ]

4 – “Green Mountain / Neansai’s Reel” - Nancy Costello
[ New-ish release - CD title "Draoicht Na Feadoige" ]

5 – “Willie Crotty” - “Danu” [ Donal O’Connor ] -
[ New release- CD “Buan” - song written by Robbie O’Connell ]

6 – “My Hometown” - “Barluath”
[ New release - CD title “At Dawn Of Day” ]

7 – “Un-named march / The Gallop To The Steeple” -
John & Kevin Byrne
[ request for uilleann pipes - “Boyd” ]

8 - [ OPENING JINGLE / WHAT’S ON” ]

9 - “Tuesday Night Is Only Karaoke” - Anthony John Clarke

10 - “Memory Of Love” - Aidan McEoin / Fraser Shaw

11 - “Land Of Light” - “The Tannahill Weavers”

12 - “The Farley Bridge” - Duncan Chisholm

Play Out : “Irene Meldrum’s Welcome To Bon Accord / Hecla /
The Ramnee Ceilidh” - Tony McManus
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi folks - well, Colin and myself are still on the air, one year after taking the big jump. We took the opportunity yesterday to do a review programme featuring the various live guests we’ve had into the studio since starting a year ago.
The link at the top of the page is still valid - you can hear our "anniversary" programme for the next 6 days.
We include music by the following singers / musicians and [ any flute players should certainly listen to at least the opening and closing tracks ] :

Calum Stewart & Heikki Bourgault
Paul McKenna Band
Alan Carr [ Aberdeen singer ]
Mike Katz & Mike Whellans [ border pipes and blues harp ! ]
"Red Tail Ring" [ USA ]
new track from Richard Thompson
Barbara Dymock & Chris Marra
Marilla Homes [ Australia ]
De Danann
Jean-Michel Veillon & Giles Le Bigot

Still willing to consider any requests !
kenny

Post by kenny »

Still on air.........................

For our final live programme of 2017, Colin and I decided to do something a bit different. I pointed out on "thesession.org" a week ago that it was 14 years last Friday since Johnny Cunningham departed from us, and bearing that in mind, and with the time of the year, we decided to do a "Christmas pantomime" type of programme.
Johnny was the musical director for a production by the "Mabou Mines Theatre company" of New York which told the tale of Peter Pan using puppets.
A CD was produced of the music accompanying the show - I posted it on "thesession.org" 4 years ago : see link here : https://thesession.org/recordings/4409

The flute player on the CD was Seamus Egan.

We played the CD in its’ entirety from start to finish, our only interruptions being to announce the track titles to give some sort of context. If you want to give it a listen, you can hear it using the "Listen again" facility on the programme’s home page using this link :

The programme will be overwritten by a new one - our "Review Of The Year" - on Thursday 28th.

PS - still willing to consider any requests :)
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

kenny wrote:Still on air.........................

For our final live programme of 2017, Colin and I decided to do something a bit different. I pointed out on "thesession.org" a week ago that it was 14 years last Friday since Johnny Cunningham departed from us, and bearing that in mind, and with the time of the year, we decided to do a "Christmas pantomime" type of programme.
Johnny was the musical director for a production by the "Mabou Mines Theatre company" of New York which told the tale of Peter Pan using puppets.
A CD was produced of the music accompanying the show - I posted it on "thesession.org" 4 years ago : see link here : https://thesession.org/recordings/4409

The flute player on the CD was Seamus Egan.

We played the CD in its’ entirety from start to finish, our only interruptions being to announce the track titles to give some sort of context. If you want to give it a listen, you can hear it using the "Listen again" facility on the programme’s home page using this link :

The programme will be overwritten by a new one - our "Review Of The Year" - on Thursday 28th.

PS - still willing to consider any requests :)
Thanks for the thread revival. :) Being relatively new to Chiff&Fipple I definitely would have missed this.
Is there any way to download past weeks? Or is only the most recent week available?