Band flute issues

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Stretto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Band flute issues

Post by Stretto »

I am not a flute player but bought a cheap selmer FL300 band flute to see how I like it and to get started(I am interested in building flutes but figured I should at least have something as a reference) . I am having a few issues, I believe, to do some problems with the flute. I can make tones From C down to G easily and they sound decent. But anything below that does not work. F almost never sounds(just wind noise) except sometimes it is very weak. Is slightly stronger in the octave.

Some pads have little chunks out of it about 3 mm in diameter. Looks like someone tried to pull them out and they ripped there. The C key(I guess that is what it is called. The one that plays the octave C) has no spring back. I tried to adjust the spring wire and that doesn't help. I am currently using a rubber band which works but obviously isn't good.

As I said the top notes, basically those played with the left hand all are ok for me(sound strong to me) but anything I try to play with the right hand(except those keys that play the higher holes) don't work.

I'm not sure if it's 100% the pads because some of the chunks are off notes that actually play in the left hand too. I've tried pressing down really hard on those keys, like the F, that are not playing to try to get a note out of it but it doesn't help.

I'm not sure if it's technique, should I have to do any changes in the embouchure for the lower half of the register? Or does it seem most likely a pad issue? Some keys don't seem to be really flat against the hole ridge but I would imagine if I pressed down hard enough it would close the hole well enough to make a note... but it doesn't.

It definitely needs some pads replaced(I have no idea how those chunks could come out with normal usage...), that C key needs to be fixed, and the head pieces cork is a little weak(I can pull it out the end, which I read one wasn't suppose to do). Other wise it seems, to me, like everything else is in *good enough* shape.

Like I said, I can make the upper notes of the low register play just fine(oh, and I've been studying music for 10+ years so I have some idea what is a good tone)... If playing the lower tones should sound just as good and not fall off a cliff, then someone is wrong with the flute itself. There is obvious damage to the pads(not extreme but I know how critical it is with flutes so any damage could cause problems).

While it is hard to diagnose over the net, does this seem almost surely like a pad issue? Any tricks to check? I suppose I Could tape of the problem note and continue trying to play the lower notes and see if that helps?

Any ideas?

BTW, where can I order pads and shims and how difficult is it to get the right pads? I don't think I'll have a problem with replacing them as long as I have a few spare just in case I screw up. If I have to cut them down to size it might not look pretty. Not sure if you have to match the pads to the flute model or if basically any pad will work as long as it's diameter is close to that of the key diameter.

(I also don't want to spend a fortune on this. Best I've seen is some pads on ebay for about 10-20 bucks...)

Thanks!
an seanduine

Re: Band flute issues

Post by an seanduine »

Do yourself a favor. Download this step by step flute repair guide: http://www.thelarsenflutestudio.com/upl ... manual.pdf.
A quality repad in my area runs about 200 USD. A complete overhaul runs 300USD. Enjoy the journey!

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Yeah, you are better off just getting a decent starter flute for the price you'd pay to have this one fixed up. Also, you would want a decent instrument to use as a reference point. Several options available in that regard.

Another thing to consider, is that new flute players often have problems with either the low or high notes. Probably not the case here, but it could be even after they are repadded.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

an seanduine wrote:Do yourself a favor. Download this step by step flute repair guide: http://www.thelarsenflutestudio.com/upl ... manual.pdf.
A quality repad in my area runs about 200 USD. A complete overhaul runs 300USD. Enjoy the journey!

Bob
Also some short guides here:
"14 Considerations of Woodwind Pad Installation"
http://musictrader.com/?p=56

"The Kirmser Flute Pad Preparation"
http://musictrader.com/?p=31

A number of these and other articles are available at
Lars Kirmser's Woodwind Repair Forum
http://musictrader.com/?page_id=76
particularly section 3.07 REPAIR COMPETENCIES UNIQUE TO THE FLUTE FAMILY

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Sacrifice it to science.

Try taking the keys off, and then putting them back on, without damage. Very difficult! Take pictures along the way or you may never get it back together.

Pads are available from a variety of online sources. Find the model and seek the right pads for it. You may even find them on eBay.

A second on the above referenced repair guide. It is really helpful.
Bredna

Post by Bredna »

I think the loose cork at the top might also be part of the problem, so you might be up for even more work/expense than just the pads.
robehickman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by robehickman »

I'm assumeing it's a Boehm system flute. The top notes are less sensitive to bad pads than the low beacouse leaks are cumulitive as you go down the tube, tending to make the low notes unplayable. My first flute was in similer (perhaps better) condition, yet I could still just about get a low D out of it, lower notes compleatly dead. Have got a new one now.
Stretto

Post by Stretto »

So, I got a a repair kit(20$) that had the pads and cork(missing one though so used the best old one and some were slightly too small, but I guess ok). I replaced the pads and cork and leveled it the best I could(with a mallet to angle the keys) and I can play all the notes now. The lowest notes on the foot though are hard to get.

I'm not now sure how much of it is due to my technique and how much due to the flute. I put the flute in water and one key, one in the middle, and it bubbled so I guess it still leaks. If I press down hard on the keys I can make play it, which is good news. The bad news is that it might lead to bad habits and all that.

I just need to properly level the flute and break in the pads and it might be ok. It looks like someone bend the flute in a few places and messed up the keys a little leading to the problems(some fat kid probably sat on it when it was in the case).