Claude Laurent Crystal flute on eBay!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Claude Laurent Crystal flute on eBay!

Post by an seanduine »

Hmmm. While the bidding has proceeded apace. . . there is no indication that a question has been asked, and certainly no answer has been posted.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I asked the length so I could compare it with my other Claude Laurent data and its consistent. 1821 is also fairly late in his development. Most all of the ones at the DM collection are older, with the exception of DCM 0670 which was made in 1826. The Boehm flutes have his name on them and one of the specimens of these in a green glass (DCM 0011) date from 1844. According to the curator these were made by Laurent's apprentice.

DCM 0670 made in 1826 is 673mm long, DCM 1373 made in 1818 is 674mm long. The one for sale is 680mm long. This is within the range of normal variation, based on what I measured on his short foot flutes. The pitch, of course, depends upon the scale length and I am still churning that data.

Casey

670 and 1373 compared (these images from the Dayton Miller Collection website)

Image Image
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Casey...if you do win it, I assume you'd be willing to send it out on a flute tour, right? :-)

I so want to play one of these flutes!

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey, whatever you do, don't leave it on the couch and accidentally sit on it! :o
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

So are the bases for the pin mounts just held to the flute body with adhesive, or are there holes in the glass? If the former, any idea what adhesive they used almost 200 years ago to hold a non-porous material onto another non-porous material? If the latter, what else holds it on? A threaded flange on the inner part of the flute body?

TIA, Charlie
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

These are held on with tiny screws and nuts.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

(I removed some text here - sorry. Am rethinking things....) Suffice it to say I have seen proof that the listing is legitimate. I suggested he should sell it with a higher starting bid but eBay prevents him from doing so. He is getting a lot of interest in it, which doesn't surprise me.

Casey
Last edited by Casey Burns on Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Good work Casey...this fellow deserves not to be ripped off simply because of his innocence. Did he end up re-listing at a more reasonable price?

I am, sad, though, as I was about to offer some exceptionally fine bubble wrap for the crystal flute tour I was confident you would start.

Oh well.

Eric
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

(more stuff edited away....sorry)

Casey
Last edited by Casey Burns on Sat May 24, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is what something else he had to say about it:
"I suggested flute in Moscow museum of musical instruments Glinka. But they have like 3 flute Laurent, so they refused. Nevertheless, the museum expert played it in my presence, so I heard the sound of a flute."

Also, here is another one that went up for auction in London - TODAY:
See http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... t-22342394 It has a price estimate of 2000 Euros. Note the broken foot joint on this flute.

I just talked with someone more knowledgeable than I on these and it may be that this specimen perhaps doesn't compare with the really expensive ones that come up for sale or at auction. So it will be interesting to see what it gets. One thing I do know is that I will be outbid most likely!

Casey
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Found these on the tube. If they've been
posted before, please go viciously for the
throat. Otherwise enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVUdv-vi ... ata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UaVgpv ... ata_player
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

How hard would it be to make a clear plastic replica of the Laurent?

Could it be moulded? Or would it be as much work as a glass flute?
I have to admit I know nothing about glass making.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I did try to turn some clear cast acrylic resin. My tools are too dull - and the resulting bore was full of pits that upon closer examination appeared to be conchoidal fractures. The material is also quite lightweight compared with wood. However, I know some ornamental turners such as Bonnie Klein are doing some beautiful pieces with it.

I am learning about glass. We are able to order glass with a pilot bore to our specifications. The final bore will be ground in with a cast iron tool and abrasives. Then the outside shape will be ground while the piece rotates and a grinding tool is guided with a template. Tone holes will be trepanned with diamond tools and these will also be used for tuning and voicing. The undercut tone holes of Laurent flutes were done with a conical tool shoved up the bore, captured by a spindle and then rotated with abrasives applied. We'll do the same probably. Eventually - as this is still a back burner project for me.

Moulding is possible - but that would require making some pretty precise molds! Its simpler to shape the piece using these 18th century methods.

I am still the high bidder on that flute but suspect I will be outbid soon. I'll probably let it go and hope he gets a very good price for it.

Casey
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Noticed that the Eb key appears to have been broken at the rod that goes through to the post. Plus, the L3 hole, at least I think that's L3 has some chipping on the edge. I realize that the repair of Eb key isn't much of an issue in the hands of a good repair person; however, I wonder about a fix on the one chipped hole and how that might effect the playability? In fact, I think I see some additional concerns with the foot joint; however, I can't be certain from the photos. With regard to repairs, it being glass and all, I don't have a clue. Any thoughts on the above observations?