Learning to play keyed flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Learning to play keyed flutes

Post by Steve Bliven »

Are there any tutorials/guides available for moving from unkeyed flutes to keyed ones? Fingerings, exercises to facilitate using the keys, etc. On modern keyed fluted do most of you use the D#/Eb key to vent other notes or do contemporary designs eliminate the need for that?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve

[Just noticed that I recently passed my 10th anniversary on C&F. Still learning lots....]
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Learning to play keyed flutes

Post by Peter Duggan »

Steve Bliven wrote:Are there any tutorials/guides available for moving from unkeyed flutes to keyed ones? Fingerings, exercises to facilitate using the keys, etc.
IMHO... just do it!
On modern keyed fluted do most of you use the D#/Eb key to vent other notes or do contemporary designs eliminate the need for that?
On my Copley I'll sometimes vent simply because my pinkie tends to gravitate to the key. But I'll actively avoid it for E because it's clearly designed to be played with an unvented E, and sometimes even turn the foot away for sets where I know I'll not be wanting it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I don't vent on either my M and E or my antique Baack flute (despite being in just intonation).

Playing hard stuff that forces you to use the keys is what you need to do as Peter said.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

There are various ideas and approaches here: http://mcgee-flutes.com/Learning-the-keys.htm
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I don't use the D#/Eb key to vent on my Burns 6 key, no need. However, on my 11 keyed antique German made flute, I do frequently vent on various notes.

With regard to learning how to use the keyed flute, I recall when I first purchased my Burns flute, I was a little (actually quite a bit) confused as to the proper use of the keys. I was very fortunate to find a flute teacher in my area who has taught me (the only one for hundreds of miles around), she has made all of the difference. So--I would suggest, if you can, to find a good instructor. What seemed to be such a great mystery a while ago, now seems very simple with the aid of a qualified, patient, wonderful human tutor.

In the absence of a good teacher, I've heard tell of good instruction from the OAIM (Online Acadamy of Irish Music) although I haven't tried it myself. It may be a good resource and worth checking out; the prices seem quite reasonable. At any rate, best of luck to you.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just to add to the poll, I don't vent my Gallagher Pratten on the low end. However, to get an on-pitch C# at the high end I have to vent the C-nat key. I only do that if the C# is going to be held - it's about 20 cents sharp unvented and right on when vented.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Pat, I do the same thing.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Listen to Paul McGrattan, drills, scales. Do them several times.
It has helped to me, that I got a keyed flute a bit of weeks ago...
Cheers