Why are these flutes so expensive, and should I buy off ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Why are these flutes so expensive, and should I buy off

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

oleorezinator wrote:Why haven't orchestral or jazz players used anything but the boehm system in the last hundred or so years?
Part of the reason why the Boehm flute was invented was because orchestras were getting HUGE in the 1800s, and the SS flute is a bit darker and maybe a better chamber instrument whereas the Boehm is very clear and loud. An SS flute can cut through a session when well played, but I wouldn't want to try to cut through 40 violins and a ton of brass. I prefer the sound of the SS flute myself, but in an orchestra situation, you do need the sharper edge and volume of a Boehm, I think.

The Boehm is also just more commonly taught and available. When you ask most people on the street what a flute looks like, they'll think of a little silver stick. Unless you come to it through ITM, you might not even know the SS flute exists. Even period players who play period classical music will have started on a Boehm, like how professional Baroque violinists almost always started on modern setup and gamba players started on cello.

That said, I love to play opera tunes and medieval plainchant on my SS, and there is one flute player named Adrienne Greenbaum who plays the most beautiful klezmer improv on a SS, so it can be done. It's just not a common cultural migration when most people only recognize the flute from ITM.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
musicaddict99
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Post by musicaddict99 »

I may as well add this, some Amazon/Ebay wooden Irish flutes might be playable, if you know what you
are doing and aren't afraid to modify the flute. The one wooden flute I own is a Pakistani model from
Amazon which was unplayable by me until I made the finger holes bigger in the tail section. Now
I am not an expert, I just took a chance on instinct, but it worked, now the flute isn't great but it is playable.
You are better off getting a professionally made flute, or try to make a learner flute from some PVC pipe
than get a cheap flute from a website (unless you want research material on how to fix flutes that is).
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

JCortese wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:Why haven't orchestral or jazz players used anything but the boehm system in the last hundred or so years?
Part of the reason why the Boehm flute was invented was because orchestras were getting HUGE in the 1800s, and the SS flute is a bit darker and maybe a better chamber instrument whereas the Boehm is very clear and loud. An SS flute can cut through a session when well played, but I wouldn't want to try to cut through 40 violins and a ton of brass. I prefer the sound of the SS flute myself, but in an orchestra situation, you do need the sharper edge and volume of a Boehm, I think.

The Boehm is also just more commonly taught and available. When you ask most people on the street what a flute looks like, they'll think of a little silver stick. Unless you come to it through ITM, you might not even know the SS flute exists. Even period players who play period classical music will have started on a Boehm, like how professional Baroque violinists almost always started on modern setup and gamba players started on cello.

That said, I love to play opera tunes and medieval plainchant on my SS, and there is one flute player named Adrienne Greenbaum who plays the most beautiful klezmer improv on a SS, so it can be done. It's just not a common cultural migration when most people only recognize the flute from ITM.
My question was rhetorical.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

musicaddict99 wrote:which was unplayable by me until I made the finger holes bigger in the tail section.
Do you mean finger holes or are you talking about vent holes in the foot? Are you aware that all holes (including these) affect the intonation? My guess is that your flute was either playable and out of tune (in which case you got lucky), playable and in tune (in which case you've spoiled it), or unplayable and still unplayable (in terms of tone and musical usefulness)...
You are better off getting a professionally made flute, or try to make a learner flute from some PVC pipe
than get a cheap flute from a website (unless you want research material on how to fix flutes that is).
Unless you have considerable experience as both player and 'tweaker', you're simply better off with the decent flute. In fact generally better off with it regardless!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
musicaddict99
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Post by musicaddict99 »

Peter Duggan wrote: Do you mean finger holes or are you talking about vent holes in the foot? Are you aware that all holes (including these) affect the intonation? My guess is that your flute was either playable and out of tune (in which case you got lucky), playable and in tune (in which case you've spoiled it), or unplayable and still unplayable (in terms of tone and musical usefulness)...
I mean the finger holes, I found it hard to get any sound out of the holes controlled by the those finger holes. It is still in tune
to my ear, which is mostly what I worry about, not so much a digital tuner view on it.
Unless you have considerable experience as both player and 'tweaker', you're simply better off with the decent flute. In fact generally better off with it regardless!
I agree, but a lot can be learned from "tweaking". I will probably will get a Tipple flute eventually.
Makowiec
Tell us something.: I am form Poland and playing whistle for 4 years and flute for 0,5. I like to join fipple players community and stare my flutes pictures etc.

Post by Makowiec »

Probably cheapest hand made keyed flutes:
5.Folk flutes tenor in d 440 Hz sycamore wood, rosewood ,boxwood, plum wood, jatobe wood
Three pieces without tuning slide – 320
Three pieces with tuning slide - 390
Three pieces without tuning slide with 6 keys- 795
Three pieces with tuning slide , 6 keys- 872

http://www.gtmusicalinstruments.com/