Healy flute saves tendons

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
askreitzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by askreitzer »

I recently returned from a flute junket to Rhode Island, home of the Healy Flute Company. I thought I would give a little field trip report to this forum. When I left home, I had been struggling with a bad case of tendonitis for about three weeks. I could barely hold on to my flute and was wondering if my days as a small-handed flute player were over. But in the space of two days, Skip Healy made a flute to suit me and during that time I was actually able to play it for several hours with tendons intact! I am back home now and rapidly reducing my levels of tune deprivation.

What really made the difference for me is that Skip turned the body joint down so that the tube has a smaller outside diameter. That reduced the weight of the flute and makes it easier to get my hands around it. The thinner walls also vibrate more freely. I asked Skip to offset the third and sixth holes while he was at it. He then made a headjoint tailored to the way I play. It has a cork stopper faced with a silver disk. The instrument is very responsive, in tune with itself, and lightweight. So I now have a flute that fits my small hands even though the tone holes are large and even though compromises were NOT made to the scale.

Part of what makes this flute so beautiful is the keywork custom-made by Dave Skillen, Healy Flute Company’s silversmith. A thirty-year veteran of the Haynes Flute Company, Dave’s work is just flawless. When I’m not playing the flute, I can just gaze at it!

I probably don’t need to tell you how exciting it was to watch Skip and Dave create this flute before my very eyes. (Notice the lack of a long waiting list.) I heartily recommend flute junkets to Rhode Island.
Amy Kreitzer
St. Paul, Minnesota
askreitzer@stkate.edu
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Pictures..not words please :wink:
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Very cool. I'd love to see a picture as well.
Chris
askreitzer

Post by askreitzer »

OK, OK, if the sun is shining up here on the tundra tomorrow, I'll try to take a picture and post it.
Amy Kreitzer
St. Paul, Minnesota
askreitzer@stkate.edu
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

How many keys did you get and what was the final cost?

:smile:

Doc
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just saw Amy's flute at the Wed. nite session at Kieran's. Damned fine flute. Of course I had to try it after the modifications (BTW, it now has an Eb key aded to it, previously a keyless), and, well, I just about wanted to cry because I had to go back to my harder-to-play Williams.

Amy, your'e a fine player, and have been notable by your absence. We all agreed it would be a shame to lose you. Welcome back. Just let me play it now and again.....

N, *i am so jealous i hate you*
askreitzer

Post by askreitzer »

Thanks for your kind words, Nanohedron! It's so nice to be missed!

Actually, this is an entirely different flute from my previous Healy flute (which was also a great flute). I guess it wasn't feasible to turn down the body joint on that flute because of the fingerholes.

I'm still working on those photos...
Amy Kreitzer
St. Paul, Minnesota
askreitzer@stkate.edu
askreitzer

Post by askreitzer »

Amy Kreitzer
St. Paul, Minnesota
askreitzer@stkate.edu
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

Amy,

Beautiful flute, and nice pictures. If I could only have one-key it would be the Eb like yours, but adding to it is even better. So, let the Healy team have at it.

Bill