In praise of Vincenzo Di Mauro ( VDM ) flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

In praise of Vincenzo Di Mauro ( VDM ) flutes

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Some of you may remember that I've been living in Galway, Ireland for more than a year now.
I'm happy to live just two minutes away from flute maker Vincenzo Di Mauro, he gave me some very useful tips on restoring old flutes, and I've tried most of the flutes he made in the last few month. What's most interesting is the continuous evolution in their design, with small improvements on every instrument.
The flutes he made some time ago were very good already, but I believe the most recent changes he made really brought them a huge step forward, with the very last flute that I tried yesterday being a truly outstanding instrument. I was so impressed I decided to write this post, for the benefit of the undecided people looking for high quality flutes that are relatively inexpensive. This is not a commercial post, I have no financial connection with him, I just believe his work deserves to be better known.

The current bore profile is similar to a medium-large Rudall & Rose, and he offers 3 different hole sizes (small, medium and large). His large hole model is easy to handle, I can play it well even if I'm used to smaller holes. My favourite is probably the medium hole one, but it isn't easy to choose as they all sound great.
My opinion on sound and playability is based on the last 6 or 7 flutes he made, and in particular to the very last one. They have a very "solid", "concentrated" or "compact" kind of tone, close to some old Rudalls, very woody despite the material (delrin most of the times, but he also makes great wooden ones), a very traditional sound that in my opinion is often lost in many of the modern made flutes that favour a more open sound that lacks (again IMO) complexity and "balls" for the sake of loudness and responsiveness. The great news is that Vincenzo's flutes can be VERY loud and extremely responsive without sacrificing the tone, and without having the holes so large that your fingers sink in them. Even his small hole model is loud if desired and can be heard very well in session.
Low D is really stable, you can put a lot of air in it and it won't break. He said his last flute was optimized for the first two octaves and that for the third octave it required a little extra push compared to his earlier models, but really I couldn't tell the difference, I thought it was responsive and agile in it's whole range. Needless to say, intonation is spot on.
His cases are very beautiful too.
His website: http://vdmflutes.free.fr/UK/AccueilUK.html
A picture of his last flute, a 3 key large hole model in delrin, with the case:

Last edited by LorenzoFlute on Sun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Gromit

Re: In praise of Vincenzo Di Mauro ( VDM ) flutes

Post by Gromit »

Nice looking flutes - perhaps let down by the playing on intro page
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Like the flutes, and liked the playing and sound of the flute on the intro page.

Very traditional sounding to me.

Eric
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thank you Lorenzo, excellent review and very interesting assessment of the tonal qualities his flutes! They look great too-very elegant tradional lines, and impeccably crafted. Should appeal to anyone who appreciates that in a fully dressed, high quality Delrin (or wooden) flute (as you mention, he does both), and yet still at a mid price level. Certainly a bargain it seems, if one wants the whole deluxe package Vincenzo provides. For the EU players especially, no doubt a welcome choice!

I see he also offers a simpler student 3 piece flute at a lesser price point. Very tempting! It's also great that he gives a choice of 3 hole sizes, so we can be picky too!

Must be fun to have met him and to be able to try out all his flutes over time. No doubt it's been an education for you, and I imagine he's happy for your feedback as a player as well.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, and great job on the review and overview of his flutes!
~~~~
Barry
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Very traditional sounding to me.
Eric do you think that breathy way of playing sounds more traditional than the sort of flowing style of the likes of Matt Molloy, Kevin Crawford etc.?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Listening to some of the older players, I do think that sound is reminiscent of older 78 recordings...so yes. It's more of a huff and puff style and sound.

I've been re-listening to the Wooden Flute Obsession CDs again, and there is a huge range of tones and styles, and if the recording on Vincenzo's site is poorly played - so are about 1/3rd of the track on the WFO CDs. Personally, I like the variety.

Eric
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Fair enough - I don't like that style of playing but from what I've read on this forum I know that there are people who do. I find it hard to hear what the flute sounds like as it's kind of overblown - If it was my site I'd also stick up a sample played by another style of player ie less breathy - how about this bloke he seems to get around a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0a5Q3RGx74
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I like Vincenzo's playing but it is indeed a very forceful approach that some people may not like. His newer flutes sound a bit different form the older one played in that clip, and of course they can be played in any style you prefer. I agree that his website should be updated in look and with new clips from different players, but he said he doesn't have the guy that worked on it anymore.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

That's me playing Vincenzo's flute in the Crane in my photo (<--)

I've met him twice; the first time he let me see his shop, and the second time he let me play his flute, so I can say he's been very kind whenever I met him. :)

Lorenzo was there and told me his flutes are improving... I don't have any experience of that but don't see any reason to think it isn't true. ;)

Fwiw, I also love "dirty playing" in the style of Harry Bradley, Michael Clarkson or Conal O Grada, but I wouldn't call that more or less trad. Sligo, Leitrim, and piping (how the Flow website classifies them) have all been around more or less for as long as players have been playing flutes...

;)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Korbi
Tell us something.: I play the irish flute and tin whistle. Since I'm playing a lot I'm interested in sharing thoughts etc. and looking for people with the same interest and also might look for good second hand flutes/whistles or reviews, flutemakers,...

Post by Korbi »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I bought a four-keyed delrin flute with short foot from Vincenzo last year. It's really really great and the four keys are perfectly placed and easy to handle.