Practice of flute. (Tobin's Favourite)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
moo jin Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Practice of flute. (Tobin's Favourite)

Post by moo jin Lee »

https://soundcloud.com/dorre/tobins-favourite

I had Self-taught to Irish flute for 2 years.
So I've got a many question. I need Your advice in the This forum.
I study to irish music by Youtube.
So I don't know good or bad for my playing.
At least, I know my bad bit sense. So i use to metronome for lately.
If you got it better knowhow for good bit sense, teach to me please.
And I know two style of triplet. is right??
First style is one breathin and three fingering.
Second style is triple tonguing and three fingering.
MTGuru

Re: Practice of flute. (Tobin's Favourite)

Post by MTGuru »

That is good, Moo Jin. Your rolls and cuts are good, your breathing and phrasing are good, your timing and intonation are good.

What kind of flute do you play? Your tone has a lot of air, and it sounds like your embouchure could use more focus. Other players here can give you better advice about that.
moo jin Lee wrote:And I know two style of triplet. is right??
Triple tonguing is not very common in basic Irish flute style.

Are you in or near Seoul? There is an Irish session in Seoul. If you are interested, I can send you the information.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
JohnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnB »

You seem to be coming on well but I would recommend buying a tutor (if you can't get any one to teach you).

June McCormack's flute tutor (with CD) is a good one

http://www.draiochtmusic.com/books/#fliuit

or OIAM looks good - free taster tunes here

http://www.oaim.ie/free-lessons/flute

To me the tongued triplets sound wrong I play it with fingered triplets but probably only once and do rolls etc. instead varying the decoration each time that phrase comes up.

If you're going to pick up tunes off youtube be very selective as there is good and bad stuff.
I was recently looking at this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DancingFeet/videos

Good luck
Last edited by JohnB on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

There is no power to you breath. If you can find a local daegeum teacher have them give you lessons on proper breathing. I studied daegeum for a few years and it made my breathing very powerful but also expressive. I also recommend you experiment more with ornamentation, the tonging is used too often. A good flute tutor will be of lots of help. You're off to a very good start.
moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

MTGuru wrote:That is good, Moo Jin. Your rolls and cuts are good, your breathing and phrasing are good, your timing and intonation are good.

What kind of flute do you play? Your tone has a lot of air, and it sounds like your embouchure could use more focus. Other players here can give you better advice about that.
moo jin Lee wrote:And I know two style of triplet. is right??
Triple tonguing is not very common in basic Irish flute style.

Are you in or near Seoul? There is an Irish session in Seoul. If you are interested, I can send you the information.
Thanks for reply. I've played gilles Lehart flute. I live in the seoul and already joined to the seoul session for few month. you talk about seoul session is Myvanwy Birds and her's friends session is right? but Irish flute player is rare in the seoul. I pity for this situation.
moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

JohnB wrote:You seem to be coming on well but I would recommend buying a tutor (if you can't get any one to teach you).

June McCormack's flute tutor (with CD) is a good one

http://www.draiochtmusic.com/books/#fliuit

or OIAM looks good - free taster tunes here

http://www.oaim.ie/free-lessons/flute

To me the tongued triplets sound wrong I play it with fingered triplets but probably only once and do rolls etc. instead varying the decoration each time that ppjrase comes up.

If you're going to pick up tunes off youtube be very selective as there is good and bad stuff.
I was recently looking at this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DancingFeet/videos

Good luck
Thanks. your reply is very helpful.
moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:There is no power to you breath. If you can find a local daegeum teacher have them give you lessons on proper breathing. I studied daegeum for a few years and it made my breathing very powerful but also expressive. I also recommend you experiment more with ornamentation, the tonging is used too often. A good flute tutor will be of lots of help. You're off to a very good start.
Thanks for reply. You are Koreans?? daegeum is koreans traditional flute.
maki

Post by maki »

I'm just a beginner myself but I really enjoyed that!
moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

maki wrote:I'm just a beginner myself but I really enjoyed that!
Thank you so much!!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

moo jin Lee wrote:I live in the seoul and already joined to the seoul session for few month. you talk about seoul session is Myvanwy Birds and her's friends session is right?
I am not sure. I will ask my friend Hae Young about her session and I will let you know. :-)

Fiff & Chipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fiff & Chipple »

Hey very nice playing. I enjoyed that.

Few points I can pass on:
~ Let the tune evolve or grow. The tune should be slightly different between first and second (or third) time of playing (especially when soloing). Try and introduce different phrasings, ornaments and pauses (where you take a breath) each time your play the tune - making the tune more complex as it goes along. Putting your own spin on a tune has kept trad irish music alive.

~ Don't always take a breath in between each part. Taking a breath a little earlier then putting a slide, run or roll in to the next part adds a lovely lift to the tune (again remembering to vary when you take a breath between the first and second time of playing).

~ When practising, overload the tune with ornaments/variations (record your self whilst doing so) then listen to it back and strip it back - leaving in the ornaments/variations you like.

~ Many variations come from mistakes made when playing. Don't let them go to waste. Stop and practise the mistake/variation.

Grey Larson has a brilliant tuition book/CD out available from amazon.

OAIL - online accademy of irish music - is a very good source.

Hope this helps.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:
moo jin Lee wrote:I live in the seoul and already joined to the seoul session for few month. you talk about seoul session is Myvanwy Birds and her's friends session is right?
I am not sure. I will ask my friend Hae Young about her session and I will let you know. :-)
My friend mentioned two Seoul sessions: One at the "Shamrock 'n' Roll Bar", the other at "Cafe Ireland", both in the HongDae area of Seoul. She said you are probably familiar with both of them.

I hope that is helpful!

moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

MTGuru wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
My friend mentioned two Seoul sessions: One at the "Shamrock 'n' Roll Bar", the other at "Cafe Ireland", both in the HongDae area of Seoul. She said you are probably familiar with both of them.

I hope that is helpful!
Yes. I go to their session. Hae young is fiddle player. is right??
I know Hae young's face. Her is don't know for me. maybe.
moo jin Lee

Post by moo jin Lee »

Fiff & Chipple wrote:Hey very nice playing. I enjoyed that.

Few points I can pass on:
~ Let the tune evolve or grow. The tune should be slightly different between first and second (or third) time of playing (especially when soloing). Try and introduce different phrasings, ornaments and pauses (where you take a breath) each time your play the tune - making the tune more complex as it goes along. Putting your own spin on a tune has kept trad irish music alive.

~ Don't always take a breath in between each part. Taking a breath a little earlier then putting a slide, run or roll in to the next part adds a lovely lift to the tune (again remembering to vary when you take a breath between the first and second time of playing).

~ When practising, overload the tune with ornaments/variations (record your self whilst doing so) then listen to it back and strip it back - leaving in the ornaments/variations you like.

~ Many variations come from mistakes made when playing. Don't let them go to waste. Stop and practise the mistake/variation.

Grey Larson has a brilliant tuition book/CD out available from amazon.

OAIL - online accademy of irish music - is a very good source.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply. I'm not perfect understand. because my low level english. but I know to your point of Explanation to sent to me. little bit..