A recent talk/interview with Matt Molloy

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreenWood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

A recent talk/interview with Matt Molloy

Post by GreenWood »

paddler

Re: A recent talk/interview with Matt Molloy

Post by paddler »

Thanks for posting that! That was excellent!

I really like the long, open ended format. It came across much more like a conversation than an interview.
What an incredibly humble man Matt is! It is really encouraging to hear such a giant of flute playing talking about
his own struggles with many of the same problems that dog all of us. And I have to say that Paul McGrattan did a
superb job!

And Matt's passing words of wisdom for aspiring young musicians: study accountancy! :lol:
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Re: A recent talk/interview with Matt Molloy

Post by GreenWood »

I haven't met Matt in person, but he is like someone you feel you have always known. Actually I don't think of him as a great flute player, though I love his playing, just as a kind person who perseveres and follows a good light, who is attentive to others instead of attention seeking. That care comes through in his playing, the attention to detail. I don't know, I suppose "Irish music" must be thankful to have such a reference , because otherwise I think it would have been left more scattered or uncertain. As Paul said, he has made a path or cleared a space for other musicians to feel at home in.

Accountancy is not a bad idea, accountants tend to be quite sensible people...but do any play music ???

I was trying to think up a music and a tune name that would fit an accountant, but couldn't... The Penny's Mistress is all that sprang to mind :-( .

It's funny though, Paul McGrattan I only know from a tune (Taylor's Twist) so it was good to see him, and for Peter they say being in the "shadow" of a successful parent is difficult but does not seem so here, seems very much at ease with himself or in place, for want of a better way of saying that. Still, I imagine that must be difficult somehow, if only because of having to figure out who is just after his father's reputation etc. . Not his or Matt's fault of course, just how the world is.