Fingering Charts - downloads & links

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fingering Charts - downloads & links

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, what the hell, folk keep wanting/needing/asking for these, or we who have them keep referring people to them, so I've now uploaded Word.docs of scans of both Langey and Rockstro's full fingering and trill charts to Box.net. You can download them on these links:

Rockstro

Langey

I have also posted my own editable (so you can alter it for optimum fingerings for a given flute) general use chart giving the main, common fingerings for 8-key flute:

Jem's Customisable Generic 8-key Simple System Fingering Chart

And, for completeness' sake here's a scan of Quantz's chart for Baroque Flute

This chart which I supply with my Simple Piccolos (which can also be edited to customise it) may also be useful to folk with keyless flutes...

... as may be this list of high (upper 2nd and 3rd 8ves) fingerings which arose from an old thread about Seery keyless flutes here on C&F.

Help yourselves!

These websites/pages also have useful fingering charts, both modern and period, for various configurations of Simple System from keyless up and also post-Bohm systems:

The Woodwind Fingering Guide (includes Charanga chart)

Rick Wilson's Historical Flutes Pages

Terry McGee's website
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Fingering Charts - downloads & links

Post by Nanohedron »

This deserves to be a Sticky. Thanks, Jem! :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks Nano, Ben, MTGuru, Dale, for new Stickydom!

A note to anyone who has already viewed or downloaded my "Jem's Generic" chart - I have now re-uploaded it to Box.net with a few minor edits and an added footnote about "middle" C natural (same link in OP).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Fantastic Jem! Thanx greatly.

K.
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Here's a resource I've just discovered - I don't vouch for the fingering charts (haven't had time to peruse them thoroughly), but they're there!
Creative Flute.org Charts.

There are other very useful resources on that site, including Robin Jakeways' series of articles on how flutes work, Hootz, Hertz and Harmonics - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - originally published in Pan, the journal of the BFS (British Flute Society) in the late 1990s and for long available on the BFS website, but no longer..... All five articles texts are there, though unfortunately without their illustrations. Amongst other benefits of reading these is a better understanding of fingerings to help appreciate the rationale behind fingering charts!

Hoots, Hertz and Harmonics I - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - How does my flute work?
Hoots, Hertz and Harmonics II - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - What note will a flute produce? and Harmonics
Hoots, Hertz and Harmonics III - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - More about harmonics and the top octave
Hoots, Hertz and Harmonics IV - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - The problem of intonation
Hoots, Hertz and Harmonics V - Fundamental Physical Phenomena For Flautists - Fake fingerings

They're essential reading, IMO, together with the UNSW pages on the same topic:
Flute acoustics: an introduction (and links therefrom)

Also, all my uploaded fingering charts on Box.net are now in a separate sub-folder - Flute Resources. The links in the OP still link to them individually. The new sub-folder also includes my various flute help/info sheets.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jonas T Larsson

Post by Jonas T Larsson »

All five parts of Hoots Herz and Harmonics can be found here with images and all:

http://db.tt/JaU0IFWC

[ Mod Note: This Dropbox contains the articles as 5 downloadable PDFs ]
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks Jonas!
I've got a couple more things to add when I get a chance - e.g.charts from Potter's Tutor for Bb band flute, a copy of which I now possess.... Will scan and upload to Box.net and link here as soon as I can. I want to add charts for Radcliff and for Carte's 1867 system too.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I discovered today that somehow my "Jem's Customisable Generic 8-key Simple System Fingering Chart" had mysteriously vanished from Box.net. I don't know how I managed to delete it nor how long ago that happened, though it can't be more than a few weeks. I certainly didn't do it intentionally and I can't think it can have happened without me making an unwitting mistake while attending to something else in the folder.

Anyway, my apologies to anyone who found the link was not working. The chart has been re-uploaded and (with moderatorial aid) the OP link has been updated, so it is now available and the link works correctly once more.

Please do let me know by PM of any such malfunctions!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

New addition: Henry Potter & Co. fingering charts for 5-key simple system flutes from an undated early C20th Flute Tutor for Bb Flute, F Flute, Eb Flute & Piccolo by Fred H Poole. Scanned into a Word.doc and viewable online or downloadable here: Henry Potter 5-key Band Flute fingering chart (in my Box.net resources).

Apologies for the long delay since I said I would add this, and thanks NeilB for the prod! :poke:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks for putting that on Jem it seems the simple "Band Flute" is making a come back or at least some newish members are putting the head above the parapet LoL.

Even 'though Fred Poole writes in his intro the names of the keys your still persisting on using Eb (cleverly bracketed) maybe you should set apart when referring to this style of flute, so not to confuse us lesser mortals who insist it is a D# key:-))
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Neil B wrote:Thanks for putting that on Jem it seems the simple "Band Flute" is making a come back or at least some newish members are putting the head above the parapet LoL.

Even 'though Fred Poole writes in his intro the names of the keys your still persisting on using Eb (cleverly bracketed) maybe you should set apart when referring to this style of flute, so not to confuse us lesser mortals who insist it is a D# key:-))
I am sure there are plenty of us out there, and yes Neil I have always been taught it was a D# key but I was also taught that the Bb key was the A# key, I know its semantics but ironic when we were calling them an A# key but it was on a Bb flute, lol.

And thanks Jem for the Potters booklet, I had a Drummers Handbook originally published by Potters but I loaned it to a Coldstream Guardsman and never got it back.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

New additions:
For anybody interested/to whom these might be useful, I have just uploaded to my Box-net Resources folder some freely downloadable documents containing scans of fingering charts for both Carte 1867 System and Radcliff Model flutes. The documents also contain links to further information about the flutes in question.
Help yourselves!

Rockstro & Langey 1867 System Charts

Langey Radcliff Model Charts

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Here is Folker and Powell's fingering chart for Baroque flute after Grenser:

http://www.baroqueflute.com/models/Grenser.pdf

Forgive me if this was already included...didn't see it if so.

Including for odd folks like myself that mess around with playing traverso from time to time.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for that addition, James. Quantz's chart for baroque traverso is linked in the OP, of course, and there are others available via some of the other existing website links, but it is always interesting to have another one. :-)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums