What to do with an old wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
roseflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What to do with an old wooden flute

Post by roseflute »

Hi
I'm new here. I have an old wooden flute in poor condition, I think my father had planned to repair it but never got round to it. Its a mixture of two different instruments, the top two parts are stamped siccama number 1073 the rest are all stamped Rudall and Rose 15(?) Piazza etc. The two different parts had been jammed together as long as my dad had it, they didn't really fit. Now the cork has rotted away and they're separate.
I was thinking of repairing it for my own use but am now wondering if I should get it done proffessionally.
Is it worth it and if I need to get some cocus wood and some cork where would I try? I am in the channel islands.
I have some experience of woodturning and have done some silversmithing a long time ago.
If this is a common question and I just don't know where to find the answers please bear with me and direct me to the right place.

Regards Roseflute
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What to do with an old wooden flute

Post by benhall.1 »

Welcome to the forums Roseflute

Yours doesn't seem all that common a question to me. I'm definitely not the one to answer it, but the expert types 'll be along any minute ... Anyone wanna sweepstake on who'll be first? :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Would be lovely if you can post pictures. From your description, it sounds as if the body and keys are from an early flute (1824-1837 at that address) by Rudall and Rose, probably block-mounted keys in an 8-key simple system fingering. The headjoint w/blowing embouchure and tuning slide barrel would then be replacements taken from a Siccama marked flute. Possibly a close, workable fit. If this is correct, it certainly can still be a very decent playable instrument of some value, or can be matched with another original or replacement head/barrel.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Roseflute,
From another Channel-islander ... if you happen to be in Jersey, you might want to have a word with "Broken Wind" on the Bagatelle Parade ... she's done a couple of little jobs for me very reasonably. She's in the 'phone book. The shop's not always open, so probably worth a call first.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I'm agree with Kevin, and having some pic will be a good help to address you. :- )
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
roseflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by roseflute »

Hi to all
thanks for the replies so far. kkrell you are exactly right. I had an idea that pictures were needed, I'm afraid its something I have trouble with, I may get around to them eventually.

Kypfer, its a small world, I had no idea anyone was doing repairs in Jersey. In fact I'm in Guernsey, still close enough to post. Thanks for the very useful information.

Best wishes roseflute
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Playability will be spoiled very quickly if the body's inside diameter (ID) is larger than the head's ID. This is a salient characteristic of the taper-bored flute. It's at issue when making a brand-new flute (the maker must take care to ream the body to a maximum ID that is 0.3 to 0.6mm smaller than the head). Of course, the head could be reamed a little larger to compensate, but that could be a problem if there is a metal liner in the head; increasing the head bore also decreases the chimney at the blowhole.

I would start by measuring respective IDs of the head and body with a telescoping gauge.

Walt Sweet
http://www.wdsweetflutes.com
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Ya know, if you don't know what to do with a flute, then there's always a pair of hands right here that would be glad to take it in. Free of charge too! :D
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

It could be a very good lute or a just normal one. I would avoid to try anything before i get a proper valutation.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com