Tipple PVC Transverse To Shakuhachi Conversion

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
headwizer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tipple PVC Transverse To Shakuhachi Conversion

Post by headwizer »

In a recent move, my Tipple PVC flute's headjoint developed a crack over the cork. Doug doesn't make my model of flute anymore (it had copper tenons), so I converted the headjoint to a Shakuhachi. All the details for the project in the link below, as well as pics of the flute before and after conversion.

BTW, Doug tells me he has gray PVC flute (without any holes) ready to go for this kind of project. It's a "3-piece, 8-hole low D flute body in the gray pvc, which is quality pvc" for $25 plus shipping. I already have my shak, or I would have bought it right then.

Project writeup: http://taocurrents.org/2012/04/16/diy-f ... ltivation/

rama1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tipple PVC Transverse To Shakuhachi Conversion

Post by rama1 »

Could we have a sound sample of this please? :)
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Here's a short clip (160Kb) - a measure from Amazing Grace on the converted shak:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2984414102/amaz1.mp3

It's not the best quality, done quickly on my laptop's sound system.
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

The Tipple-Shakuhachi conversion article has been very popular, so I reprocessed some of the pics in the article (and added new ones) for greater clarity. Also, the link for the music clip has changed.

BTW, I made a shak adapter for another flute in my collection: the Kerry Low D. The adapter is based on a 1-1/4 inch PVC pipe coupler (for 1 inch OD pvc pipe) that cost me 30 cents at Home Depot. I shaped it only with sandpaper (no fancy dremel tool). Because the adapter has a wider opening than on the Tipple-converted headjoint, it's much easier to play. Plus, pvc couplers come in a variety of sizes and the project could fit any number of flute tubes.

I plan to post a how-to article for the adapter in a few weeks and will post a link here. Here are some pics.