Promoting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Does anyone else feel that we need to promote our little forum here? I get the woodenflute list, but really can't stand the e-mail interface. But this forum doesn't really seem to be known among the flute websites and people. Any ideas?

Peace,
Erik
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Good idea, Erik! Maybe you could send an e-mail to the woodenflute e-mail list with a link to this forum.

:smile: Jessie
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I agree with you Erik. I don't like the email interface and find it quite confusing at times to use, either to post or reply. And receiving it is the pits.

I much prefer ours here. The other thing I don't like is the assigned password, I can never remember it and at times it doesn't want to seem to let me log on.

Jessie has a good idea.

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Mark and Jessie,

Yes, that option did occur to me, but I can't help but wonder how rude it would be to go onto someone else's list and 'advertise' our site. I know that I've developed a sense of ownership in the Chiff and Fipple community and I can only imagine that folks on the woodenflute list have done the same - whether I deem their interface to be inferior or not.

What do you think? Is my reluctance unfounded? Maybe it a matter of 'the more the merrier'?

Erik
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Good point Erik. I don't think that we should be rude. I'm a newbie at the flute and as of yet don't really have the confidence to post to the Woodenflute as I do here or on the whistle forum.

Like you and all others we find reassuring friendship and help here, not to say that doesn't happen on the Woodenflute board. I guess that I feel intimidated posting there.

But we all have noticed that David Migoya post here now on a regular basis and that has been our boon.

Maybe a dialog can be set up with the fair exchange of links, knowing that we can work together and help each other.

Mark
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I'll admit the Woodenflute list can appear quite high-end sometimes, but it really isn't. It takes in the full spectrum, from maker to beginning player.
I like this list because it often deals with basic topics that all-too-many times are often forgotten. Also, it's a great location for relaying reviews on instruments and performers.
Woodenflute, while it does that sometimes, isn't as intimate toward that, probably because so many makers -- Healy, McGee, Hamilton, etc. -- are on it.
However, it is a terrific place to learn the intricate details of vintage flutes -- McGee and I currently are working on a study of Siccama flutes as we're both restoring one -- and issues on playing (cross-fingerings, etc).
A note on that board would be useful to let others know that they can pop into here to read additional material that could be interesting or fun. I'd not be offended by such a post.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thanks for the input David. I hearby nominate Mr. Migoya as liaison to the woodenflute list.

Motion is seconded by the man in the back of the room.

All in favor please signify by saying 'Aye'. Opposed please register your vote by hitting CRTL-ALT-DEL similtaneously on your keyboard :wink:

Looks unanimous! Thank you David for stepping forward to fulfill this vital roll within our community :smile:

Peace,
Erik

p.s. In the event that David is either unable or unwilling to accept this nomination, LorenB has been appointed as an alternate.

p.p.s. In the event that you realize that I have no authority to conduct such meetings, well, I don't know...
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Alright,

Seeing as you haven't accepted your charge, David, I've taken matters into my own hands. I e-mailed Larry Owens asking his permission to post such a topic on the woodenflute list. That was a few days ago, though, and I haven't heard back from him. Does anyone know if he's an e-mail answerer? Should I be patient a little while longer?

Erik