Anybody tried a Skip Healy keyless chromatic flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Elfforce1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anybody tried a Skip Healy keyless chromatic flute?

Post by Elfforce1 »

I came across this website, http://www.skiphealy.com/keylessflute_chromatic, and was wondering if anybody has tried these keyless chromatic flutes. The idea to me sounds awsome, but not sure how that turns out in reality.
Jonathan Zabel, email: zabel.jonathan@gmail.com
Feadoggie

Re: Anybody tried a Skip Healy keyless chromatic flute?

Post by Feadoggie »

I own and play one of Skip's 10 hole, chromatic fifes and I like it a lot. I've played (well, tried to play) one of the flutes.

Chromatic holes aside, Skip's flutes can elicit strong opinions from individual players. Have you played one of his flutes yet?

One thing to consider on the 10 hole design is the placement of the holes and whether you can keep them covered. I had a bear of a time with that myself. But I have smallish hands for a man and had little time to get used to it so YMMV. It is a good idea, and it does work but it may require some fitting or personal adjustment to get it right for you. Skip's flutes are somewhat unique.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
elbows

Post by elbows »

I tried one briefly while I was in Skip's workshop a while back, and I personally couldn't do much with it. It's pretty unforgiving ergonomically because all your fingers have to be exactly on the holes, so if the flute doesn't fit your hands nicely I imagine it would be hard going.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Learning to play a chromatic, 10-hole flute is like learning a new language, Chinese, for example. If you are willing to devote the necessary time and practice to develop mastery, you can do it, of course. My ten-hole chromatic flutes are lying in the bottom of a box, and four of the holes are covered with masking tape, adapting them to a language that I understand better.