Skype Flute Lessons.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Skype Flute Lessons.

Post by Harry »

Hail All,

I'm taking on a few students via one-on-one Skype lessons. I wasn't too sure of this medium, but am encouraged by how it has worked in trying it out.

Format is: I email the student a tune in MP3 format in advance of the Skype meeting, student learns it, then we meet on Skype for 30-40 mins where I listen to the student play the tune, we discuss the tune and technique in it, rhythm, or whatever questions arise, then I email a new tune shortly after to be the basis of the next lesson... etc etc etc. I'm open to ideas on the format though.

The student today was just using the built-in mic on his computer and I could hear him fine. I use a little Sony mic which seems to do the trick also, but I have my eye on one of these badboys:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... phone.html

If interested then drop me a line:

harrybradley@eircom.net

Regards,

HB.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
jim stone

Re: Skype Flute Lessons.

Post by jim stone »

Very cool idea. Thanks.
CordaTesa

Post by CordaTesa »

Can we have a free lesson for trial? :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'm not sure I have the human resources to honor such a commitment... if I get a couple of staff in then I'll let you know :wink:

Regards,

H.

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

:party: :party: :party:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
arpadoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by arpadoro »

Harry wrote:I'm not sure I have the human resources to honor such a commitment... if I get a couple of staff in then I'll let you know :wink:

Regards,

H.
I am concerned. but perhaps with skype you can organize classes with two, three or more students !
Io vorrei sapere quanto costa e quale metodo di pagamento si può usare [*][/color]
Mario

[ * I'd like to know how much it costs and what method of payment one can use. - Mod ]
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi arpadoro,

I'm just working one-to-one at the moment... that seems tricky enough to organise as it is!

Payment is via Paypal and the cost is Euro30 per lesson, or a batch of 4 lessons for Euro100.

I just have room for 2 more students now.

Regards,

Harry.

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Now, this is a bit expensive for me :(
But Harry's one of the top flute players, so I guess the price is just right...

PS: benvenuto Mario ;)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

The price might seem high if you cost it in $ per tune, but that's not the way to look at it. Compare the cost and convenience to attending a summer school, and remember Harry's offering one-on-one, rather than being in a group of students. And that one lesson will impact on every new tune you play after that. Invaluable! Certainly worth a try, unless you feel you have nothing left to learn!

Harry, do you have any advice along the lines of how advanced a student should be before their first lesson? E.g. do you want to hear from beginners, or is it better that they have made a certain amount of progress before they contact you?

You mentioned microphones, but you haven't mentioned video. Do you use Skype's video facility in the lessons?

On that topic, my aging webcam couldn't make the jump to Windows 7 (ie the manufacturer doesn't want to lose a marketing opportunity by supplying drivers!), so it was upgrade time. Looking to the future (always the optimist!), I opted to pay a few more dollars to get a low-end "HD" camera. "High Definition" is probably somewhat of an exaggeration, but it certainly is dramatically better than its predecessor and very well worth the slight increase in cost. (Some would argue that High Definition on faces better suited to radio would be overcapitalisation!) The built-in microphones on these cameras are rather too distant for best results, so I'd suggest a lapel microphone that will reduce room noise and pick-up from the speakers. Some web cams come with a lapel mic for that reason.

Terry
lingpupa

Post by lingpupa »

If the lessons are 30-40 minutes you can be very sure that each one takes *at least* an hour of Harry's time. Now although I am well aware that many of us are on tight budgets, and not everyone can put their hand in their pocket and find EUR 30 without thinking about it. But I say that to preface this point: EUR 30/h for professional services is somewhere on the spectrum between "very fair" and "cheap". Possibly the market wouldn't take much more – I don't know – but any less would cross into the "dirt cheap" band.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I agree with the last poster.

Not that there is a direct comparison (or any inference intended) a plumber or joiner is around the same to pay per hour.

I'd say Harry has both a good idea AND a good price here.

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Terry,
Harry, do you have any advice along the lines of how advanced a student should be before their first lesson? E.g. do you want to hear from beginners, or is it better that they have made a certain amount of progress before they contact you?
Basically I'd say the same to any student that comes to me: There's no point paying for lessons until there is some sort of consistency of tone there. It's a waste of time and money to be sitting there trying to find a tone on the flute, or being distracted from other aspects of playing/learning because the tone is falling apart. So some sort of consistency there is a requirement, and it can be worked on and honed in lessons. I also teach by ear. I think that it's very important that people learn to discern melody and translate it to the instrument right from the start, but that can be learned as one goes along and there is no real pre requirement there.

Yes, the lessons are done through video calls, so there is video there and I'd recommend this (although there's nothing much to see). And, yep, these lesson are the same price as my one-on-one lessons in 'meat space', but they take longer to do. I'd be doing very well to do one in an hour all in (recording/editing/formatting MP3 files, follow-up email and all that).

Regards,

Harry.

Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Harry, now, if you can fix a car or replace a worn washer at that rate you'd be overwhelmed with business:
...drivers frequently pay more than £100 an hour for labour at franchised dealers. The random testing of 200 dealers across the UK discovered that hourly rates varied enormously. They ranged from £49 at a Vauxhall garage in Scotland to £140 an hour for BMW in London. The magazine contrasted this with the fees earned by a locum doctor, charging up to £500 a day, and a junior barrister, who can earn as little as £30 an hour.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/fe ... ews.uknews
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

If I had an Internet connection that would support this, I would sign up in a heartbeat. What an opportunity.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Julia Delaney wrote:Harry, now, if you can fix a car or replace a worn washer at that rate you'd be overwhelmed with business:
...drivers frequently pay more than £100 an hour for labour at franchised dealers. The random testing of 200 dealers across the UK discovered that hourly rates varied enormously. They ranged from £49 at a Vauxhall garage in Scotland to £140 an hour for BMW in London. The magazine contrasted this with the fees earned by a locum doctor, charging up to £500 a day, and a junior barrister, who can earn as little as £30 an hour.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/fe ... ews.uknews
Yeah, except those are all business charges and have little to do with what the worker actually delivering the service actually earns per hour in real, take-home pay. They aren't really good comparisons. I agree Harry's rate is very good value. FWIW, the current Musician's Union minimum hourly rate for private tuition is £28 per hour. But very few music tutors get a full 8 hour day of work; nor, on the other hand, do they have the kinds of overheads a e.g. large garage or a barrister has.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads