Plastic/Cane flutes/flutes on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

On line, I've seen a fair about of discussion/reviews of Desi Seeri flutes, M&E flutes, and Olwell bamboo flutes. Does anybody have any experience with Moore flutes, Wendy Reed flutes, or Sunreed Bamboo flutes that they would share?
Also, there are some "Wgm'd" rosewood "Irish" flutes being auctioned on ebay by Ethnic Music Store (items 1461608587, 1461608642) and an "Irish" flute from War Cry music (1462946464), anybody have any idea what these are and whether they're any good?
Thanks!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

The "Wgm'd" ones are almost certainly Pakistani. Great to hang on the wall, but that's about it. The War Cry one is the standard awful Pakistani flute.

The Moore plastic flutes will have the usual cylindrical-bore tuning problems. I'd probably go Dixon before Moore myself, but I haven't played the Moore.

For the most part, you get what you pay for, though (except for the Pakistani instruments, where you get significantly less). A beginner instrument isn't really the best place to cut corners, since then you're just making yourself guess if problems are with the instrument or the player..
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-09-06 14:25 ]</font>
eskin

Post by eskin »

The PVC flutes offered on eBay as "Doug's Irish Flute in D" are actually amazingly good and very inexpensive. Two of us here in San Diego have them and they are quite servicable and surprisingly well in tune. I ordered mine without the decorative contact paper pseudo-wood finish for all of $25.00.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Moore flute: I have one, the first flute I ever bought, and it almost turned me off flute playing. Difficult to play, not well in tune, not a nice tone. Buy mine! :smile:

Sunreed bamboo: Huge diameter and weird hole placement makes it difficult (almost impossible for me) to play. Nice tone, relatively well in tune (I have the "pro" version). Not in the same league as Olwell's bamboos.

:smile:

Cheers,
Jens