Flute Teachers in Los Angeles? / Numb Lip

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

Hello, does anyone know of a beginning flute teacher in the Los Angeles area ? I'm just getting started with an Olwell cane flute (about 5-6 weeks) and am trying to get the basics down, like making audible sound come out of the instrument with some consistency. I'm close to the Pasadena and Silverlake areas. Thanks for any leads.... also, I'm now noticing that my lower lip gets quite numb (feels anesthesized) within a few minutes of practicing and makes it even more difficult to work on embouchure...it goes away as soon as I stop... I try to practice about 1-1 1/2 hrs. per day, 30-45 mins. at a time. I don't think I'm putting very much pressure against the lower lip/chin with the flute, so I'm not sure what's causing it.... didn't happen the first few weeks I was playing...any ideas what this is and how to avoid it ? Thanks again.

Tod
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

Regarding a teacher: Would you want them to specialize in Celtic/trad or would a classical (Boehm) teacher be ok? I'm looking for a Celtic flute teacher, but there's tons of classical flute teachers out there.
I note from the Desi Seery site (www.csagraphics.com/seery.htm) that he seems to have an LA representative, Kevin Krell. Wonder if he plays/teaches? I guess I should give a call or email.