FS Chris Wilkes Boxwood Pratten/Keyless D - SOLD

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
upooper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS Chris Wilkes Boxwood Pratten/Keyless D - SOLD

Post by upooper »

Last edited by upooper on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: FS Chris Wilkes Boxwood Pratten/Keyless D/Lg Ag Basket Bands

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Now, this is something I've never seen...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, no, Bill's selling his flute?! :-(

I've played this flute and "mighty" doesn't even begin to describe it. This sucker is a weapon. It is a club. It is ... a flute of and for the ages.

It's also a hoot to play and the basketwork bands are awesome.

But it's not for small hands or shrinking violets. This flute is all-boy.

I'm sorry to see it's for sale. :-(
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

..."the headjoint barrell came out a few years ago and i reset it following Chris's directions, using shellac. He suggested i tweak it a bit to suit my lip/embochure which i did, so the barrell is off set just a tad from the wooden embochure hole, not that noticeable from the pictures. I found it gave me a harder/honkier D and more control of the third octave"...

do you mean the metal tubing/lining came loose in the headjoint and you had to re-align the metal and wood so the holes matched up, but then you offest the alignment and tweeked the hole?
Last edited by rama on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
eilam

Post by eilam »

The flutes been in the hands of such players as Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, Kevin Crawford, Arbo Doughty, Jean Michelle Veillon, John Donnelly, catski wildski , Paddy Kennan as well as other notable players.

nice arbo !!!!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

eilam wrote:The flutes been in the hands of such players as Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, Kevin Crawford, Arbo Doughty, Jean Michelle Veillon, John Donnelly, catski wildski , Paddy Kennan as well as other notable players.

nice arbo !!!!
I thought so!!! :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

eilam wrote:The flutes been in the hands of such players as Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, Kevin Crawford, Arbo Doughty, Jean Michelle Veillon, John Donnelly, catski wildski , Paddy Kennan as well as other notable players.

nice arbo !!!!
:lol: "Notable" would not be a word I'd use to describe myself. "Risible," on the other hand ... ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

What a fine looking instrument!! I suspect this will be a record breaker as regards price - Whoa!! wait a minute, only 1900 USD as buy it now price, this is very reasonable price indeed!! I suspect this flute will sell very quickly. I hope you're doing alright over there Bill and that you come home safe - all the best :thumbsup:
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

rama wrote:..."the headjoint barrell came out a few years ago and i reset it following Chris's directions, using shellac. He suggested i tweak it a bit to suit my lip/embochure which i did, so the barrell is off set just a tad from the wooden embochure hole, not that noticeable from the pictures. I found it gave me a harder/honkier D and more control of the third octave"...

do you mean the metal tubing/lining came loose in the headjoint and you had to re-align the metal and wood so the holes matched up, but then you offest the alignment and tweeked the hole?
I think he means the sleeve came out of the barrel and had to be re-attached. If it is glued with shellac, he just heated it back up and shoved it in, no biggy.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jon, I'm with rama's interpretation of Bil's text - he can't mean the barrel liner as that wouldn't involve the embouchure or "alignment" in any sense. I agree his choice of wording (and funny spellings) make matters less than crystal!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

nice arbo !!!!

Yep. I have hung with Bil on several occasions. That flute is a honker alright! Sounds lovely with the Hudson Pratten...
hmmm? Maybe it should be a package deal, the pair of them ?

Oh.... Notable player? Well, that's a stretch, isn't it?
Arbo
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Hey, I just noticed, Bil gave J-M V a partial gender re-allocation! :lol: :boggle:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

I thought she was one of his third cousins.....
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
upooper

Post by upooper »

ImNotIrish wrote:

nice arbo !!!!

Yep. I have hung with Bil on several occasions. That flute is a honker alright! Sounds lovely with the Hudson Pratten...
hmmm? Maybe it should be a package deal, the pair of them ?

Oh.... Notable player? Well, that's a stretch, isn't it?
Arbo
Nah, notable player, notable friend and outstanding human dude!!!
upooper

Post by upooper »

Steampacket wrote:What a fine looking instrument!! I suspect this will be a record breaker as regards price - Whoa!! wait a minute, only 1900 USD as buy it now price, this is very reasonable price indeed!! I suspect this flute will sell very quickly. I hope you're doing alright over there Bill and that you come home safe - all the best :thumbsup:
Thanks Thomas,

yeah it sold very quickly, going just down the road from my "home of record", i felt doubling my investment was sufficient. Sad to see her go, in ways, but tis time and i'm not one to have more than one flute, got a morvan, suits me better, though the Wilkes is certainly mighty. appreciate your take on it and i've signed up for another year here that should be enough, lots of water here, just gotta get it outa the ground and distribute it, no small task. amazing place, and a grand flute tradition among the travellers here, yes there are travellers. in pashto logar shpelay "wooden flute".

Hope you and yours are doing well!

bil