FS: Grinter 6 Key Flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Westies
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

FS: Grinter 6 Key Flute for sale

Post by Westies »

Grinter 6 Key Flute for sale.

The flute is in perfect condition. It is 'as new'. It is my wife's flute and she wanted a louder-playing flute and after playing one, she bought a Sam Murray.
The Grinter is subtle in tone.

Hand-made wooden case comes with it.

I am based in South West Ireland

From the website, these flutes new have a waiting list of 18 months and cost €2500.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0700552540
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: FS: Grinter 6 Key Flute for sale

Post by Steampacket »

"The flute is in perfect condition. It is 'as new'. It is my wife's flute and she wanted a louder-playing flute and after playing one, she bought a Sam Murray. The Grinter is subtle in tone." Westies.

Yes, Sam's flutes can certainly honk, and have that raw powerful tone, but Kevin Crawford doesn't do too bad on his Grinter, he gets a mighty sound out of it :) . Anyway Good luck with the new Murray and the sale of the Grinter
:)
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

It must be one of his older model then, as the Grinter I've tried was a real honker, just like a Murray or even more...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. Played an old Grinter and it was loud. More so than a Murray, IMO.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

IMHO
Grinter flutes have a more difficult embouchure VS murray flutes.
Possibly this exlaplain the matter...
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

radcliff wrote:IMHO
Grinter flutes have a more difficult embouchure VS murray flutes.
Possibly this exlaplain the matter...
That's funny because I had the exact opposite impression. When I played a Murray, I could barely get a good sound out of it, and it was very quiet. The Grinter and the Olwell I played were just so much smoother and louder than the Murray. I guess I got a bad flute or something because I was excited to try it out, but I was sorely disappointed.

Anyways, good luck with the sale.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Sigmund
Tell us something.: Just want to change mye profile since I have moved to a different town. Favourite flueplayers are Kevin Crawford, Mike Mcgoldrick, Matt Molloy and John Wynne. Thanks! Cheers, Sigmund

Post by Sigmund »

I too believe Grinter's "bad" volume reputation has to do with embouchure. Most likely the flute needs a slightly different embouchure than most flutes. I played with Barry Kerr in a session last year. His Grinter sounded all over the place. Could barely hear myself..
"Basically, the game is over if the rhythm is unsteady; it makes things jarring musically and impossible to listen to." -Jerry O'Sullivan
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i haven't tried either yet, so i'd love to hear from somebody more in the know, but i saw a photo of the embouchure cuts of a Grinter next to some other flutes (an Olwell and a Byrnes, i believe) and the Grinter cut was noticeably smaller. that might make it more difficult to get volume out of it... but i agree, KC does pretty well by his. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Sigmund wrote: I played with Barry Kerr in a session last year. His Grinter sounded all over the place. Could barely hear myself..
It is not matter of flute: Barry have volume turn on MAX on everythigs :-P
tomo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tomo »

I usually play Grinter flutes. When I played a Murray flute, I could hardly get a good sound out of it. I think a Murray flute demands a different way of blowing from the way I blow my Grinter flutes.

Anyway, I think it's a good opportunity to get a great flute at a reasonable price.

Regards, Tomoyuki
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I have Kevin's old cocus Grinter and I'm certainly not complaining about the tone or volume. I find the tuning a little hard to keep under control (sharper left hand, flatter foot) but it's a phenomenal flute, solid as a rock all the way down.

As it happens a couple of old pads fell off just before Clancy week and I popped into Sam's workshop in Galway for a refit. He wasn't impressed and struggled a little bit to play it himself. He thought the pads must still be bedding in but it was fine for me, being used to it. Horses for courses.

The Grinter has a slightly more rounded embouchure than my Rudall Carte, and it's easier to sound for me (being more used to it) and louder (at the moment). I prefer the complexity of tone on the RC&C but the Grinter is great. I don't think you can evaluate any flute from a couple of spells of playing. There's no point saying something's easier to play, depends what you're used to.

PS. I did the Jem head swap experiment and the RCC was a bit easier with the Grinter head but did lose some of that complex overtoning.
Mark
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I must confess that I'm watching this eagerly in ebay and my finger's twitching on the buy it now button... I have a Grinter low whistle and have never heard Grinter flutes in the flesh sound anything short of awesome! It also has a 2 piece body, which would be an interesting change from my Cotter. There are only 2 things stopping me from buying this one right now. 1, I've been on Pat Olwell's list for years and hope to get my 6 key from him in 2012. 2, I believe Mike's flutes are rather less forgiving than Pat's ones in terms of embouchure.

If I wasn't needing a specially shaped G# key and wasn't afraid that the Grinter would be a lot tougher to blow, I would snap this one up without hesitation. I bet it's the beez-neez!
m.d.
Westies
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Westies »

Yeah,

To be honest I don't know much about flutes. I'm selling it for my wife who is working in Italy for a few months. I play the fiddle.

I only know that flute players who have played it love it and it is in beautiful condition. Secondly, there seems to be a big demand for Grinter flutes if you ever decided to sell it again.

Thanks for your post
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I'm sure you'd find a volunteer to take your place on the Olwell list (like me :wink:). But then if the Olwell is what you really want, you should hold out for it. Then again, buy the Grinter, sell it when your Olwell arrives for the same you paid for it. Then again, the music's more important than the flute. Decisions, decisions...

PS. how often do you use the G# key, and why do you need a special one?
Mark
Denny

Post by Denny »

mmm, piper's grip?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.