Mopane: Cocus Substitute, or Furniture Wood?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Mopane: Cocus Substitute, or Furniture Wood?

Post by Jon C. »

an seanduine wrote:Certainly Cocobolo should be approached with caution. Some people have had severe reactions to contact with the sawdust and oils.
However, the matter is never so simple as it might appear with woods we identify with common names.
I have worked cocobolo and found it a marvelous turning wood. I also have made several simple flutes from it and can say it had marvelous tonewood characteristics. I was further very fortunate in that I had no negative reaction to the dust or oils.
However Wikipedia tells me that the generally accepted 'cocobolo' wood is from Dalbergia Retusa. But it further says there are three additional closely related Dalbergias that yield 'Cocobolo', but does not name them. :o

All this may explain,( or may not!), why some are affected by contact with 'cocobolo',and some not. My takeaway is that without intimate knowledge of the provenance of the wood you are working 'cocobolo' should be approached very cautiously.

Bob
Well good luck with it, I loved the wood until I blew up like a puff fish! Might be the case on the different woods, I know the Mexican Cocobolo is pretty bad, but I did see some other varieties for sale from other south American countries. A dealer for the wood told me that the turner that uses the wood for bagpipes, dons a tyvak suit and after the turning, does a whole decontamination process afterward. It is so profitable for him, he is willing to go through that. It is a lovely looking wood and a good tone wood.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The listing is for Nicaraguan Cocobolo, Panama Cocobolo, but the seller gives it as the same name Dalbergia retusa. But maybe the other varieties are less toxic?
http://www.gilmerwood.com/turn_squares_coco_unique.htm
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Jon C. said
But maybe the other varieties are less toxic?
. That question seems to be the essence of the problem. A lotta years ago I made several simple cylindrical flutes in 'G' for myself and several friends. Neither I nor my friends had any untoward reaction. Then shortly after that I was horrified to learn of the possibility of toxic or allergic responses to 'Cocobolo'. I let my friends know of the possibility of a reaction, but neither I nor they have had one in the intervening years.
A case of of mis-identified wood? maybe. . .but it sure looks a lot like the exemplars of 'Cocobolo' I have seen. Different levels of active oils in woods from different regions? Maybe. I know some of the tropical hardwoods have 'male' and 'female' trees with slightly different characteristics, but I don't know enough of the botany of Dalbergias to say this is the case. Short of being there when the living tree is cut, or getting a positive ID from a micrscopic examination, how would you know? I still remain extremely cautious in any approach to using 'Cocobolo'.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

My flute (seen to the left ) is made from mopane. It's a Copley & Boegli, and I once spent some time comparing it with a blackwood Copley. The embouchure cuts were a bit different, which probably negates anything I'll write next, but... My mopane flute seems inclined toward a fat, warm tone, while the blackwood was a bit brighter. Other makes of blackwood flutes also seem a bit brighter by nature, but I don't know whether it's a function of design or material.

Here's Martin Doyle's take on the tonal properties of various woods: http://www.martindoyleflutes.com/woods.html
Last edited by tin tin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have the same impression from playing mopane vs. blackwood.
FWIW
Sigurthr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sigurthr »

I have yet to have a reaction from cocobolo, and with ocarinas you literally have the wood in your mouth, drool into it, and suck it back into your mouth.

Perhaps it is a different cultivar or variety or subspecies that is causing the problems reported. I only know that which I have tried; Hind Ocarinas and KDJ Flutes both make instruments with Cocobolo that appear by all reports to be non-toxic. The custom fife I had made of cocobolo by Fontana Studios does appear to be different at least to some extent, it smells and feels different, but so far no reaction at all. I will keep my eye out though.
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.