What Flute to buy?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What Flute to buy?

Post by Celtpastor »

First of all - I am a Piper, not a Flutist, so, Part of the Problem is surely, that I dont practise enough.
However - I am looking for a new Flute. For 10yrs now, I play a Seery Delrin. I like the deep Sound, but I find it hard to get the low D, also, the 2nd Octave takes so much Air, that I can hardly play fast Tunes, rather stick to Slowairs.
Recently, in Lorient, I tried a Flute from an unknown Maker with a Brass-plated Mouthpiece, also somewhat shorter. It lacked a bit of Bass, but it was incredibly easy to play!
Now - can anyone recommend me a Flute just as easily blowable - easyier than Seery - but with just as much Bass, at a resonable Price?
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What Flute to buy?

Post by ImNotIrish »

Celtpastor wrote:First of all - I am a Piper, not a Flutist, so, Part of the Problem is surely, that I dont practise enough.
However - I am looking for a new Flute. For 10yrs now, I play a Seery Delrin. I like the deep Sound, but I find it hard to get the low D, also, the 2nd Octave takes so much Air, that I can hardly play fast Tunes, rather stick to Slowairs.
Recently, in Lorient, I tried a Flute from an unknown Maker with a Brass-plated Mouthpiece, also somewhat shorter. It lacked a bit of Bass, but it was incredibly easy to play!
Now - can anyone recommend me a Flute just as easily blowable - easyier than Seery - but with just as much Bass, at a resonable Price?
HI. I' actually just starting the pipes after playing flute! Fun, fun, fun.... regarding your query, check this forum. There are plenty of good flute options at the moment!
Arbo
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Greetings -
I have a Healy D flute for sale on eBay right now. It's a great sounding instrument at a very reasonable price.
Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 925wt_1139

For more information on Skip Healy and to listen to audio here's his site:
http://www.skiphealy.com/audio

If you're interested send me a PM

SOLD 8/31
Last edited by Flexismart on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

It sounds to me as though your issues are classic beginners' embouchure ones (even after 10 years! - weak low D on a flute well known for having a good "hard D"/strong low register, air-supply problems in the second 8ve....). Changing flutes when you have a decent one already will not really solve the problems, even if picking a different one up gave you an impression that it might be easier...... Unless your Seery has somehow been damaged or inappropriately modified, it should be perfectly good. I strongly suggest you work on your embouchure and general technique before wasting time and money looking for another flute on which you will (maybe after a brief honeymoon) find you have exactly the same difficulties. By all means have your Seery checked by a knowledgeable person to make sure it has no leaks or damage, but assuming it is in proper condition, the problems you describe are you, not the flute. The second 8ve should not "take more air". A few embouchure lessons from a good teacher and or some reading of old advice threads here on tone production, embouchure strengthening exercises, etc. etc. will help you far more than changing flutes. Things to improve your focus and air-economy are what you need to explore, and the correct technique for shifting 8ves (NOT blowing harder!).

Good luck!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

No expert and I have no experience with Seery flutes, but does Seery make different embouchures and head joints that might suit your needs?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Flute is not for "lazy" people, your lips muscles must be trained to give a decent sound, and you train them by playing every day. That's why most pipers go for the whistle instead of the flute...

That said, it is true that some flutes are a bit easier than others to play. I belive the bass quality you hear in you flute could be because of the large pratten-like bore of the Seery. But a larger bore (usually) requires more air (especially for a beginner). I'm sure you would like a flute made by Olwell... but the Healy above has a good reputation and the price is also good (but I'm not sure of what to think about the statement about the tuning slide and pitch...).
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Rob Forbes delrin flute. For the price (and compared to many higher-priced instruments) it can't be beat imo.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Rob Forbes flutes are excellent and have a darker tone (I assume that's what you mean by "bass").

Casey Burns also makes flutes that are relatively easy to play and have a darker tone, say his Standard model or his Large Hole Standard.

Closer to home, M&E flutes are very good, but they may lack the darkness of tone the other two have.

Regarding the "2nd Octave takes so much Air" issue, that has more to do with your embouchure than the flute. To go to the second octave, I find it best to make the hole of my embouchure a little smaller and slightly re-directing the airflow up just a little. Thus, you use the same amount of air.

Hope that helps.

Jason
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Forbes are wonderful, but do require a little bit more air than others. Not a problem at all if flute is you main instument, but this doesn't seem to be the case...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute