Different flutes-different embouchures.......

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Different flutes-different embouchures.......

Post by Ronnie »

Last year I bought a Hamilton flute which was almost new. Hammy took alook at the flute and i started to get used to it. Until this day I find it not so easy to master. Iplay a watson at session which goes as a dream but it seems that this six keyed flute doesn't suit me. Sound familiar? It seemed a good idea at the time to buy it being a good flute by a good maker. What to do? Swap it for an Olwell?
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Different flutes-different embouchures.......

Post by plunk111 »

Bodhro wrote:What to do? Swap it for an Olwell?
Nah... Get rid of the sucker - I'll do you a favor and give you $100 for it (and I'll even pay for shipping!).

:wink:

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Done...............NOT :D
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
So, before buying the Hamilton (keyless?) you had and still have a 6 keyed Watson. You prefer (find easier to play?) the Watson but you don't like to have the keys.
What's the problem with the keys? If you don't like them, just don't use them...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Hammy makes an amazing flute. He made me one that was both beautiful (cocobolo wood, at my request) and had a sound that was like nothing I've played before or since. That said, the whole big-holed, big-sound flute thing just wasn't for me.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing that there are some flutes that are suited to you and some that aren't.

One other thing, though, is that if you really want to see if this flute is good for you, you have to play it exclusively (or at the very least almost exclusively, and never after your other flute) for a few months. If you have a flute that's already comfortable for you and you keep playing it, you'll never really find out if a significantly different flute works for you.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I'll sweeten the pot and offer $200.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Hammy sure ain't for everybody.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Thanks guys (I won't take silly offers lol) . No I'll take chas's advice and let it grow on me. I haven't got problems with the keys, just another embouchure I think. Its indeed a honker when played right which I do at some days. I think maybe I have to be more focused in playing it. I do think however that some flutes are more suited than others and this one isn't going anywhere for the moment. Like Hammy said; its a lovely flute so it is me or better my embouchure :D Just exchanging experience :) Or am I just lazy? :puppyeyes:
P.S.
Besides I only bought it for 200$ Doug :D
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Yes, there are many beautiful flutes that are Phoebe-ic .......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit