Rudall at auction warning

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Rudall at auction warning

Post by RudallRose »

There's a Rudall coming for sale at Christie's NYC next month and I've since learned it is one that had been for sale by the auctioneer's house in London a couple years ago.
I thought it best to let folks know that this flute has issues that should be considered before bidding.
The flute, #1115, was one I had purchased from the London auction and returned to the auction house for a refund because of its problems. How often would that occur??

The left-hand piece is fine, marked properly, etc.....but the right-hand piece was an unmarked replacement that was certainly not Rudall. The barrel and headpiece also were replacements. All this in my original notes of that time.

Do as you'd like, but I thought it wise to let you all know the issues.

dm
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Rudall at auction warning

Post by kkrell »

Gee, it used to be listed as a 9-key, now it's an 8-key?
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

Erosion.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Only 7 keys in the photo, but a G# key is assumed to be hiding around the other side.

Headjoint is an awful mess. Repaired crack extending the length, enlarged embouchure, and a poor job of inlaying a silver lip plate. Rings look like it might match the right hand section. The foot is considered not to be original, but I don't know - it might be - has the pre-threaded pins below the blocks. However, the photo is not good enough to see if there is any stamp on the section - none readily apparent.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Sold for $2,000 (includes 25% buyer's premium), which means a winning bid amount of $1,600.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

a 25% premium on a bid for a flute that isn't what it claims to be

foolish, foolish :shock:

good luck with that

We need to start standing up against auction houses that peddle these crappy knock-offs.
It's not the first!