M&E R&R 8 Key Ebonite Flute Impressions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: M&E R&R 8 Key Ebonite Flute Impressions

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim, if you're ever in KC, you can give the flute a try. My wife says it sounds more "buttery and creamy" than my PVC flute...which is funny since I hadn't told her my session mates had a similar response.

Aanvil...so that's where our local zoo's gibbons have gone to. The zoo spent millions rehabbing the zoo's original building. It was once the whole zoo, later became a tropics building, was abandoned, and now has been reborn as a tropics building 1/3rd smaller than before and about 1/2 as impressive as before. One exhibit allegedly had gibbons...we checked several times and never saw them...and it appears YOU have them and that's why our zoo doesn't. Please return them at your earliest convenience.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks! (about the flute, not the gibbons. No wish to give them a try.
Buttery gibbons, creamy gibbons. oh god....)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aanvil wrote:I prefer gibbonite.
Another good choice is Rabbinite. A nice, kosher spiel with a zaftige tone and just a bissel of chutzpah. But it won't play bubkis on Saturdays, which is a shmerts in the tuchis. Oy vey!

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

this rabbi is a childhood friend of mine...Avi Piamenta, great musician....Stan Getz (sp)used to visit israel and perform with Avi and his family...........Avi is a great flute player.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

eilam wrote:this rabbi is a childhood friend of mine...Avi Piamenta, great musician....Stan Getz (sp)used to visit israel and perform with Avi and his family...........Avi is a great flute player.
I was wondering if anyone would identify the player. Very cool. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just going back to Ebonite and bowls, I have no idea about American style 10-pin bowling, but I'm pretty sure that British style bowls for green or carpet bowling are still predominantly made from Ebonite - saw some links when I did that bit of research a year or so back on I Ebonite that I mentioned in the other (locked) thread.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Ade

Post by Ade »

Hi

After reading the comments here I was tempted to get one of these Ebonite flutes. I already have an M&E Delrin keyless which I like (it was my first flute) and a couple of other wooden keyless flutes including a McGee (execellent!). Michael offered a new 8 key Ebonite including case and shipping for just over £400. sterling which is a graet deal! I could not afford one of the top flute makers keyed flutes and as my first intro to the keyed variety I am very happy. I also agree the sound IS 'buttery' compared to the Delin and is comparible in quality to my wooden flutes, albeit slightly different. The Delrin now seems a little 'dead; sounding in comparison, although I would still recommend it as a workhorse flute. I cant put the thing down. Not sure whether this is the novety of a having a flute with keys or something else. Whatever, I think it is a lot of flute for the money and I am extremely pleased with it.

Another one for the collection!

All the best

Ade
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ade - glad you're liking the ebonite flute, too. It's a remarkable bargain, and one fine sounding flute. I can't put the flute down...it's simply a joy to play.

Eric
Stuporman

Post by Stuporman »

It's important for me to add, having said that one of the keys had less than perfect chrome, that upon contacting Michael, he quickly sent me a whole new section, new keys included, postage paid. Terrific service for a terrific flute, which I still have and play regularly.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Thoroughly enjoyed this collection of past posts, as an owner of a suspected but not proven 20 year +/- ebonite keyless M&E RnR.

Jayhawk: Can you update us on your findings on your eight key ebonite M&E if you still have it after all this time?

Best wishes,

Keith.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi Keith...I ended up selling that 8 key M&E when I was having some ulnar nerve problems. I shifted to delrin flutes by Francois Baubet (6 key and a keyless for travel). I also had active release therapy on my ulnar nerve and my hand problems have gone away. So when an 8 key M&E ebonite flute appeared on the board a few weeks back I snapped it up.

I definitely missed the Cnat and C# keys, and my impressions of the M&E 8 key are unchanged. I just love the tone of ebonite. It's the flute I am now playing at session and for my band. I love that dark, reedy tone!

Ebonite simply seems to me to sound more woody than delrin, and I do realize I have repeatedly agrued for the scientific side that materials don't matter...what can I say, I am a complex individual. LOL.

Eric
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I did wonder at your swift, synaptic response to snatching that M&E eight key ebonite the second it came on the market. "What's he doing with TWO", I asked. Now I know.

Sorry to hear about your nerve problem. Sounds like an heroically satisfying outcome though. Well done.

Regards, Keith.